Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installer suggests against air for my daily?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installer suggests against air for my daily?

Hey guys so I had everything ready to go but not ordered. I did my homework since I was new. I go talk to an Air Lift Company certified installer and he strongly goes against installing air on my daily. Why? All the research I've done and I haven't heard any horror stories. Should I still have it installed? I was ready to order a Manual setup with Bilstein rear shocks, 8 Gauge power kit and SMC Water Trap. I really want air cause I don't want to have to take my damn wheels over to adjust coilovers, and I want to go ultra low.

The guy said that the plastic air lines can crack in the cold, air leaks are common, that my compressor can get water inside it, freeze and break or that my bag can get a leak and completely deflate. Is all this true? I've read on here and Vortex Air Ride Forum that a ton of people daily their air suspensions. What do I do?

its all about the install. use DOT airline, use check valves for compressors, use water traps for valves, don't let the bag rub on anything, use proper dampers with the bags, use a thread sealant for fittings. this isnt new technology. you will be fine.
    Last edited by NegativeCamber; 01-02-2012, 08:13 PM.
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Okay that is very reassuring. What do you mean use water traps for valves and check valves for compressors. And what are dampers? I cant find them on the bagriders website? Sorry for the ignorance. I'm still a beginner with this stuff

Sorry I just found what a check valve is. Still confused about the dampers and water traps as valves
      Last edited by silverstoneVW; 01-02-2012, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by silverstoneVW View Post
        Okay that is very reassuring. What do you mean use water traps for valves and check valves for compressors. And what are dampers? I cant find them on the bagriders website? Sorry for the ignorance. I'm still a beginner with this stuff

Sorry I just found what a check valve is. Still confused about the dampers and water traps as valves
        Water traps prevent moisture from getting into your system. If your getting air struts that are already made (bagyard, air-lift, etc) then the dampening shouldn't be much of a concern. What I think Erik was talking about was shock dampening which really only applies if your building your own struts.

I doubt anyone from air lift would be happy to hear that one of their "certified" installers is saying air is bad for daily driving. Thats one of the dumber things i've read in a while. Such a stupid blanket statement.

Make sure you don't have any leaks and make sure you have the install done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Comment

If he says leaks are common, hes doing it wrong. I wouldnt let him anywhere near my car
          Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
            If he says leaks are common, hes doing it wrong. I wouldnt let him anywhere near my car
            seriously.

judging by your name you have a mk4....they have shit you could literally bolt on in a weekend. easily.

Comment

Yeah its a 24v VR6 silverstone gti. When I first heard him say that I was kind of taken aback because in all my research I never heard any of those horror stories. I know leaks happen but I know they are easy to fix too. I'm back on track to getting my air ride anyways. Thanks guys for the input!

Comment

9 outta 10 times, it's a problem with the installation; not the air suspension. Sounds like someone at that shop doesn't know what they're doing with air suspension installs.
                StatusRacing.com
                Configure YOUR Seat Here
                Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                Email: sales@statusracing.com
                Fan us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                X