X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannons 3rd Attempt: Low'N'Load rx7 fc3s Vert

soooooooo...

the super duper wide 200sx got sold... and i missed it,

the bmw got sold... to a judge... no joke..

and i wanted to get back into jap.. and you know me.. i love cars that are a little different

1989 Rx7 Fc3s Vert Turbo

its got 97k on the clock, and all in all is actually pretty clean considering its a 22 year old car, the normal small scuffs and 2 rips in the roof (in the place you get on any soft top car)

I bought this car from a customer of mine who had the car for the last 14 years. When he first bought it he had the engine rebuilt by WGT racing, and a full body respray. Since his owner ship he has moved a couple of times and the history for the car seems to be scattered about. He just called me on Saturday to say his father found the old MOT's at his house and the tannoue cover for the roof was at his warehouse, which he is dropping off on Wednesday to me.
    Specs are

Owned for 14 years by the previous bar one owner
    Rebuild at 88k by WGT
    Brand new 2 mile old BC racing Coilovers
    weds kranze split rims 17x9 17x8 et8
    Brand new tyres all round
    8 Months MOT
    3 Months Tax
    Leather interior
    Silicone hoses
    Dump valve
    Recent oil change
    Cruise Control
    Electric roof
    Uprated speakers
    Kenwood disk changer
    Two amps (fuses disconnected as no head unit) professionally wired in
    Heated rear screen
    LSD

ONTOP of this all I got dual exit exhaust system for the car (bout a 3 or 4" slash cut tip on both sides, and all pipework and decat as well) and skirts + spats already colour coded to the car

so far only driven it 2x

electric roof works, all lights work and pop ups work, and leather is very very comfy.. and ride isnt crazy bumpy, tho it may be a tad low as the camber of my road makes the exhaust scrape LOL!!

PLANS are to either give it a massive tcut and polish OR spray it NATO GREEN, pending how i feel about it in a few days, raise it a few mm's and then do some roof repairs, either duct tape or look into new roof/proper stitch and patching, get some tests done on the engine (its been champagne tested in the last month?????? whatever that is)

and then skid it a bit.. as Its LOVELY to drive

ANYWAY a few pics for you..

and the extras i got

__________________________________________________ __________________

so today we and josh went out and patched the roof rips for a temp fix

then had a little look behind the rear seats

and found these

to which led to me discovering that the inside of the rood is lines with molehair wooop

popped the bonnet open to check to see if anything had leaked overnight

found the amp wires

and then took some pics of the tops of the suspension struts and realised how mega clean they are for a 22 yr old car

and then took a few pics of the roof up so you guys can see how it looks

typical cannon pic whorage x

ANYWAY!!!

what i did today

Tested the fitting of the Tannau Cover

THEN took the car for a drive, and after finding out i had 17mm clearence under it, raised the rear 15mm
    check out the mega clean coillys

and then made sure the front no longer touched using the tape measure trick

took it for a test drive and got stuck behind these

and last but not least went out for a spin in jims sr20de Datsun.. its AMAZING, cant wait to get the sr20det into this

love it..

on the test run to kemals however stu performed a harsh brake to stop himself running into a car that randomly stopped, locked up and pulled a 90 degree flick on the motorway and managed to not hit anything, lucky lucky guy, however now has a lovely flat spot on his tyres - check the tread out

And then upon arriving at kemals en route to the seafront a metro burst into flames.. lol

fun times.. o yeah and we put some rims on ads's ps13 he can show you those

so whilst preparing for a interview today i got a knock on the door.. and this turned up

37kgs ... could only assume its my weldy

and then another van rocked up and delivered a boss for the fc... and then also have me a big parcel with

which lead to

and then swapped the DV over for josh's SSQV as a temp steal til he gets a 13

and found this amazing sticker on the passenger sun visor

so all in all.. an eventful day

HOWEVER!!! 1 small thing.. went to segensworth from pomps, after a good blast at 70mph on the motorway pulled onto the segensworth slip road leading to the roundabout and upon coming to a stop there was smoke coming from the underside of the car about the same place as the cat was from the underside, being in traffic i couldnt see this to be sure but it was coming from both sides of the car, no heat increase, no oil temp change or oil pressure change or water temp change, the lights changed colour and i pulled off and stopped round the corner and there was no smoke coming from under the car then, so im thinking maybe i do near new brakes on the car if they were infact smoking, if the fact there is a bit of wheel wobble at speed/the car hasnt been tracked since lowering it cause the wheels to smoke, or if where the heatshield 'came' off the cat the other day it was the centre section of the exhaust overheating from the prolonged heat from being sat at 5000rpm on the motorway for 20mins...

so the mystery is to be rekindled tomorrow.. as i will go get the tracking and wheels balanced, fit the decat, and then check all the discs and pads, as the rears are a lil low, but dont think its them causing the issue..

also ordered some DW internal drive wheel nuts as mine are pretty groggy ones and i feel like they are going to round every time i have removed them .. so they will also be here tomorrow

ALSO!!! thanks to ads and our lil halfords trip I now own a trolley jack, axel stands, and a slidey padded tray to lay on woop wooop

Just to add also got the new alarm going in with full microwave sensors and locking, and also got the stereo and amps sorted with a lil help from sextons

So expensive as fooooook day today but hey.. needs must

Clifford Alarm fitted to car by Dragon Audio and Security, great work and top bloke, have business cards if people need alarms fitted this is a CAT 1 alarm so insurance love it

Also with some help from ads and josh we test fitted the exuast system to the car (by test fitted I mean mesured up)

also got the bits from halfords to help working on it

Previous owner has managed to silicone in the centre caps, which was fun, had to cut them out

ALSO rear brakes 100% need changing, so have bought brembo's and some new rear pads

and to show that the car can be jacked without stilts

...and also fitted my DW internal drives

fun day

discs and pads being done tomorrow

however found a random pip that goes into the cat, looks like the air pump pipe according to the web, so not 100% on if i will decat til i find out how to go about this plug and pipe and if i can just block it or if it is important..

ANY rex owners would love tips on this

Originally posted by markturbo
    Awesome cannon, car looks amazing, bet your well chuffed, look forward to seeing it in the metal you should def fit an s13 pre facelift front splitter
    Find me one and it will go on, along with the SKIRTS and SPATS that came with the car

right so in my fragile state, i decided it was tim eto borrow a ramp and do the oil and gearbox and panel filter

thanks to Opie Oils for these

oil filter took literally 20 seconds to unscrew and change, seemed a little too easy if you ask me.. LOL

then emptied all the oil

and filled with fresh 10w40

then dumped out the gearbox oil, only took about 2 litres which was less than i thought as i thought the rex's took about 2.5 litres.. however the level checks out so???

Used the old Beer funnel trick to fill the gearbox oil with the 75w90 which when using the small hose took about 30mins for 200ml.. moved to the bigger tube from b+q.. (2quid for 2 meters, cheers then) and did the other 1800ml in bout 2 mins winner

so yeah, gear changes are 98% less crunchy and smoother when cold and warm.. which is awesome,

now im off for some double xp cod for a few hours

still waiting for my 2 new front calipers to turn up and then will consider popping the weldy in

also need protyre in fareham to try and track the car as they are the only people i know of with a flat ramp in the portsmouth/fareham area??? anyone else know anywhere with a flat ramp and tracking abilities ??

also trying to get another s13 prefacelift splitter... and now i have

got a prefacelift.. and a facelift one.. depending on how low it goes.. although it does actually sit static on the floor...

that pic is an original from the last owner

o yeah and the 4 pots turned up

So took the car to Style and Slide workshop

Lads were great dan and nat cant thank you enough, and Lou thanks for lending me the wagon to get down there with the parts

1st thing, was to do the brake calipers for the siezed piston -

while nat was sorting that, stuck a cheeky 18" rim on for a test fit.. lol

and dan set to work on the zaust, 1st thing was to cut open the decat and empty all the crap out of it.. there was alot rattling around inside it

then weld the downsizer on and reseal it

and then build all the system up to make sure it would fit...which it almost did.. LOL

then with the joys of rotary engines having an air pip that goes into the cat so when the car starts cold it goes to 3000rpm for a few seconds and then back down to heat the cat.. but when removed can cause issues... so dan cut the old one off the cat and then drilled and welded it onto the decat, and then used his magic to adjust the whole system and make it fit

heres a comparison shot for you all

then drove it an hour and a bit to Brockham for an AMAZING bonfire and firework display, and then took it to the lads opposite for a cheeky clean

so today i woke up, went to move the car, and did the usual morning checks, and then found i had no coolant, rolled the car back and found i had def ost some water

luckily work let me have a half day so came hom at 1 and with the help of Adam got cracking on the car

rmeoved the undertray which was full of leaves and oil etc

aaaand it all turned out to be a cheeky little split hose that went into the side of the engine block.. which was a massive relief

so then we took the car out of wheelie mode and test fitted the side skirts

I LOVE them.. and they hide the rust lol

just need the splitter to turn up and its bodykit fun time

cannon out..

Car went in over the weekend for a professional clean and spruce

g3, g7, g10, boat wax, polish, and alot of treatment... and holy cow it came out well

__________________________________________________ __________
    the evening of picking up the car there was a 272heroes meet and popped down with some freshly fitted skirts to get a few pics and have a meet up

__________________________________________________ __________

ANYWAY LADS AND LADIES!!

hope you like.. feel free to comment

splitter will be on soon by the way

Looks nice im liking what you have done so far loving that sticker on the visor the only thing i would do is seal all the bottom looks kinda rusty under there
    Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

I don't know if I like these.... it looks a nice example, and you are getting dug into it well. But still.

Comment

Love it
        Would love to own one myself!

Comment

Love it! A new hood would finish things off nicely.

Comment

Never been one for Chrome rims, but still can't help but love this

Comment

Originally posted by M3NDEREZ View Post
              Never been one for Chrome rims, but still can't help but
              love this
              i **** chrome rims with a passion... but for some reason they just work with this car... usually i would just think chav.. hahaha

Originally posted by Minuki View Post
              Love it! A new hood would finish things off nicely.
              yeah thats on the cards.. thinking a black or maybe white cammo one lol

Originally posted by JonnyBoi View Post
              Love it
              Would love to own one myself!
              cheers man.. its a joy to drive

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
              I don't know if I like these.... it looks a nice example, and you are getting dug into it well. But still.
              thanks man

i know they arent to everyones taste, but i have fallen in love with it

Originally posted by slimadi View Post
              Looks nice im liking what you have done so far loving that sticker on the visor the only thing i would do is seal all the bottom looks kinda rusty under there
              23 yrs old.. i would say its doing ok has a few little spots but nothing tooo crazy..

Comment

love that FC wheels work so well with it, bet you **** the fuel economy on it !!. A mate of mine has a vert on the floor aswell. Top work...

Comment

Heh, that's Chichester!

Sick RX7 man, loving the work you putting into this.

You looked at getting a new hood? Would finish it off so well.
                  SimonF. UK to straya emigrant.

Current: Aus Silvia S13
                  Previous; UK Civic DX, B16A conversion, fitted - sold and written off by new owner

Comment

Originally posted by zibomb View Post
                    love that FC wheels work so well with it, bet you **** the fuel economy on it !!. A mate of mine has a vert on the floor aswell. Top work...
                    thats not ali is it>??

if so we basically have twin rx7s and he even has weds wheels on his now.. lol

Originally posted by SimonF View Post
                    Heh, that's Chichester!

Sick RX7 man, loving the work you putting into this.

You looked at getting a new hood? Would finish it off so well.

yeah man looked at getting a black one retrimmed onto it..

then thought about maybe a white cammo one.. something different.. and then thought it may ruin the car.. so thinking black.. or blue.. or maybe even... errr... black lol

Comment

bit of an update, doing a shoot and some rolling shots tomorrow.. and the car will be getting a feature on the 272heroes.com blog quite chuffed

Looked into prices on new roofs and repairs.. but think it will be happening in the new year now.. unless i sew it up myself with some stretch waterproof stuff and a hook needle and sail repair kit.. ... maybe not

Comment

How do you find the coils? Do they go low, spring rates stiff enough?

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
                          How do you find the coils? Do they go low, spring rates stiff enough?
                          I cannot reccomend the BC coilys enough dude, i have actually raised the car 20mm and even with the front almost solid its SUPER SUPER comfy..

it will be going lower again however now the new zaust is fitted.. and splitter will be on this weekend

roof quotes im still waiting on

and did some rolling shots with a rig a few days ago with a mate, so will put the pics up as soon as i get them - they look IMMENSE!

Comment

More pictures, YAY

Comment

sneak peak

Comment

Working...
                              X