Help please: e28 525e poor acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please: e28 525e poor acceleration

Hey guys just wondering if anybody has any idea of whats going on here? Help would be much appreciated.

First off, car specs:
    1988 525e
    187,000km (116,000 miles)
    Automatic

The issue is that when im going up hill at above 60km/h (or even just on the motorway and put my foot down hard) the acceleration is poor. It really feels like it wants to kick in and go as if its hesitating. There are no weird vibrations or anything like that. Driving around the streets is fine, you cant even tell theres a problem, its only when I put my foot down to the floor and hit about 80km/h it begins to be a struggle to go faster than that. However, if im cruising along the motorway with my foot, say, steady on the accelerator at half acceleration I can get to whatever speed I want no hassles. So pretty much what im saying is when I put my foot down when im past 60km/h it doesnt want to respond.

I bought a set of new spark plugs today and am going to fit them this afternoon, im hoping its that. After searching google for other cars (couldnt find any e28's) with the same problem, the main answer seemed to be the cat converter but these cars were described as being a lot worse off than mine. Mines not thaaat bad, just can be annoying when other cars are behind me wondering why i'm going a tad slow.

Has anybody had this problem?
    Last edited by K-Soup; 10-05-2011, 03:26 PM.

So ive changed the spark plugs, wasnt the issue. Next step will be the fuel filter this afternoon, i'm quietly confident its that. If not, hmm maybe ignition coils I dunno

Comment

Not the fuel filter arrgh

Comment

how long have you had this car for?

Comment

Fuel block or your tank has shit in the bottom, when you're going up a hill it semi blocks the line???

Do you notice it more with less fuel?

Maybe

Comment

Working...
          X