• Show
Clear All

• audi turbo engine 1.8 or 2.0

I might be buying an a4 wagon

was thinking about the 1.8t

why should i go for the 2.0t
    or why should i stay clear of that one?
    Floccinaucinihilipilification

I've heard good things about the 1.8. I guess it's like all engines, take care of it and do timed maintainence and it will be all good. Also if you buy one, if there's not a recent reciept, just figure on paying for a new timing belt and water pump, just to be safe. Also I heard it's best to use only synthetic oil.

Comment

i know the 1.8t is reliable

but have no clue about the "newer" 2.0t

Comment

not too much help on this?

Comment

Don't quote me, but there's something like a TSI 2.0t and a FSI 2.0t.. one is better than the other. That's the gist of what I know about the newer VW/Audi motors.

Comment

1.8t aren't that reliable. They leak like a civ, and sensors can go out with no warning. 1.8 coils are also unreliable, but recalls have updated that problem. 2.0t seem to be more reliable, a lot less leaking.

1.8 has a huge aftermarket, 2.0 not so much. Either will give you what you want, you just have to decide which body style you want.
            Strictly Pleasure/Zero Clearance/Stretch Your Legs
            Alex

Comment

both engines have a large aftermarket backing and can make decent power without breaking the bank. Both engines have their own ups and downs; 1.8t has big problems with engine sludge, extended warranty has gone to 8 years/unlimited mileage for sludge, if you can find one with good maint. records of oil changes, that's a big bonus. It also likes to eat timing belts well before their suggested service interval. 105k is the interval, but i've seen them go before they hit 85k, so keep this in mind. Yes the 1.8t likes to break vac. hoses, breather hoses and leak oil, but these pieces, if you can replace them yourself are cheap and not too involved.

The 2.0t comes in 2 variances as stated above, TSI and FSI. The FSI is the older version, engine code BPY, it's a belt motor but doesn't have the same belt eating issues as the 1.8t. Main issues we see with these are the high pressure fuel pump lifter disintegrates and then wipes out the intake cam and pump itself, this is an expensive fix.

the TSI is the newest version, chain drive motor. This may be out of your price range since they only come in the much newer cars, however, it is by far the best engine out of the bunch as far as potential and reliability.

hope that makes some sense

Comment

P78, get a 2.0TFSI. It's the newer 2.0T that Audi uses. The 2.0T FSI has cam follower issues that haven't really been fixed.
                Originally posted by Oxer
                people are such stupid cunts.
                fuck everybody.
                Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                listen to me carefully, go fuck yourself and never come back here again
                Originally posted by Dudermagee
                You're stupid.

Comment

Keep in mind when you're talking about aftermarket there isn't as much as you'd think for the 1.8t because a lot of the parts are designed for the transverse 1.8t and not the longitudinal 1.8t found in the a4 and passat. The 1.8t is reliable if you take care of it. Bottom Line. The problem is that most used cars have owners who dont know the first thing about taking care of a boosted motor. Not just as simple as changing the oil every now and then. Also, a turbo timer will help save you a ko3 turbo in the long run. Thats a major downfall of the 1.8t. The ko3 is very delicate.
                  Panscraping and Skyscraping
                  1989 MK1 Wolfsburg Cabby--Dropped
                  1988 Jeep YJ--Lifted w/ Small Block Chevy+goodies
                  sigpic

Comment

audi tech here.

get a 1.8T. real simple to work on[especially in B6 chassis]. aftermarket support is strong. 'issues' are easily dealt with.

both the belt drive and chain drive 2.0T FSI direct injection motors are not worth the trouble. all the 'common concerns' with both are not easily rectified in the driveway at home.
                    i am too old for this shit.
                    instagram deckard_

Comment

Originally posted by jdel View Post
                      P78, get a 2.0TFSI. It's the newer 2.0T that Audi uses. The 2.0T FSI has cam follower issues that haven't really been fixed.
                      thats not true. updated camshaft/follower repairs on those older effected cars never return with wear.

also, aftermarket support: http://www.h2sport.com/news.php?newsid=636

they are using the roller follower from the 4.2 FSI in that kit. i've never seen one installed, im wondering how they compensate for the FSI pump being moved with the hard lines....

anyway, OP, get a 1.8T.
                      i am too old for this shit.
                      instagram deckard_

Comment

just sold my tt 2.0tfsi. good engine, good power but mine smoked oil like shit. and believe me i was not the only one with this problem. here in germany where you can flat out your car there many peoples with that kind of problem...

had a tt 8n with 225hp before and i think it was better. little less power in the lower revs but parts are cheaper and there are more parts to buy. anyway mine made no problems over 100kkm at all!

Comment

tnx 4 the info dudes

but as i've been looking around,think i'm gonna buy a mkv gti

more car for the same money
                          Last edited by P78; 12-07-2011, 06:24 AM.

Comment

At the end of the day it all matters on what year & transmission.. Majority of 2.0T's with DSG tend to have issues with the 06's & 07's.. Either Engine plant is good & both have alot of tuning potential..Like some other people have already mentioned.. Some burn oil depending on the yr.. Cam Follower issue can be fixed, most dealers would fix that if under warranty.. The new TSI 2.0T's are the 2009 & 2010 & up..Not too many problems & no recalls considering that they are the newest models.. With that said, they are great cars, need to be maintained, & injectors tend to get dirty every 15000-20000 KMS... So an injector clean will help that from furthing the engine light issues & missfires..

Comment

Working...
                            X