Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I cut 1 coil from a progressive spring ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I cut 1 coil from a progressive spring ?

I have buyed a sport 40mm suspension kit from TA-Technix (european stuff) but my car sits way too high so I decided to cut 1 coil from the front . The rear struts are adjustable and you can lower the car about 100 mm but the fronts aren't . I have to mention that the springs are progressive . Will I have any problems if I cut 1 coil from the 3 "dead" coils ? Will that affect my handling ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by dopetastic; 09-24-2011, 03:29 PM.

its useless really, one coil wont make a difference, itll sit just the same

03 cavalier
    73 Super Beetle
    68 Fairlane-aka FastLane
    "I Got More Watts Then Youve Got Horse Power"

Comment

2 coils then ? I can't take it anymore

Comment

no

Comment

It will be fine go ahead and cut a coil and see if its low enough. Than cut half or inches off at a time after if you are not happy. The springs will be a bit stiffer.

Comment

dddddddddd

lol dude!! need to add to favorites, thx!
            herbal phentermine

Comment

Originally posted by RandomTask View Post
              It will be fine go ahead and cut a coil and see if its low enough. Than cut half or inches off at a time after if you are not happy. The springs will be a bit stiffer.
              it'll only be fine if the spring has the same diameter through it's entire range. if it's really wide towards the middle and comes in thin towards the dead coils it's DANGEROUS as fuck. it's risking a wobbly spring and it'll shoot out come time for bumpy roads.

that's why i love mercedes. they all use non progressive springs that are all the same diameter.

Strictly Pleasure
              Allen
              82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
              92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

never cut springs. look around for different springs to buy. trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by RCSummers View Post
                  this

do it right, do it once.

Comment

cutting the dead side will do nothing. Cut 1 coil off the live side.
                    If its a tightly wound spring like on merc's, then you will be fine. if its the crappy loose ones like on civics and vauxhalls then i wouldnt risk it at all.

Comment

I cut 2 on my milly. The diameter wasn't much different so it still rides exactly the same.
                      '88 323 - K-swapped
                      '03.5 Mazdaspeed Protege

Comment

Originally posted by RCSummers View Post
                        what if they dont make springs for said vehicle

@eraunpetrytoday

Comment

Working...
                        X