Coilovers for E24/E28

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers for E24/E28

So I pretty much need coils for adjustability (can't ride slammed in the winter time). If I could afford it, I would just do air ride.

What are my options? I know GC makes a set for E24/E28's, but what are my other options? Do any other companies make them for my car? I can't seem to find any that are a direct bolt-in application otherwise.

I also was looking at this because of the price... what all is involved in doing this conversion?

Thanks for any help guys
    Last edited by Zack01GC; 11-15-2009, 03:31 PM.

Just go GC.
    Get the e28 kit. You don't need to have them do your housings- stock length is fine for your e24, as it sits on taller suspension components normally.
    Just put the spacers and inserts in, and you're good to go.

Comment

So the one I posted is good? Trying to avoid the $1600 set if possible... Haha

Comment

The 1600 includes alot if im not mistaken though

From the GC site:

Springs: All of our ride height adjustable kits now exclusively feature Ground Control springs, manufactured by Eibach USA. A broad selection of street spring rates are available. All Eibach / GC springs offer a lifetime warranty against spring rate change and sagging.

Adjusters: All adjusters consist of a threaded sleeve and adjustable spring seat. And are made using high strength 6061-T6 aluminum; anodized for greater durability and appearance. The threads on the adjusters are square cut which locks the adjustable spring seat in place under load. For further precaution, a setscrew in the adjustable spring seat can be used to secure adjustment. Upper spring perches are used to insulate the spring.
        Rear upper shock mounts: Billet aluminum rear upper mounts eliminate the failure prone stock pieces. On the e34 M5, they also eliminate the nivomat suspension, to allow an adjustable shock. Bumps stops are provided and assembled. Urethane upper spring pads are used to insulate the spring.

Bump Stops: This kit includes four Ground Control bumpstops, designed and manufactured for GC, andmatched to your springs.

Camber Plates: HYBRID Camber / Caster Plates A special version of our race plates, toned down for dual-purpose cars. Uses a proprietary upper perch with a rubber insulator. More camber adjustment than stock, caster adjustment, aircraft bearings, engraved with calibrated degrees. Every component is anodized or plated, including fasteners. Adds extra travel to avoid excessive bottoming out, this is a very well engineered product. .
        Camber and caster are separately adjustable by sliding the mounts, without removing any components from the car.
        The Ground Control camber plates feature two sets of bearings, a proprietary bearing, made to our specs by Aurora in the USA, which allows for articulation of the shock shaft. This spherical bearing is very understressed, as the GC design does NOT support the weight of the car on the spherical bearing. Instead, the weight of the car is supported by a completely separate articulating needle bearing, which is also manufactured for Ground Control in the USA.
        (the camber plates were formerly an option, now they are standard equipment at a lower price)
        Ground Control works very hard with Eibach USA to make these springs to the standards that you demand. Lifetime guarantee on everything, not just springs. No excuses about "racing" or "special". If anything fails, while being correctly installed, it will be taken care of, period. We can only have a guarantee like this because every single part of the Ground Control Street coil-over kit is made by us or someone we trust.
        The shocks and struts in this kit are not the standard off-the-shelf Koni struts for the e34. The front struts are adjustable from the top, and are shortened with special valving designed by Ground Control. The rear shocks have a slightly more aggressive, but still streetable damping like the front struts.

OPTIONS:

option 1: This kit is priced to use either a shortened front strut or standard length front strut. There is no PARTS price difference, however there is labor involved. GC can provide directions for you to prepare your front strut housings yourself, or GC can convert to coil-over, shorten, reinforce, and powder-coat your strut housings for $190 a pair.

Erry thang but top mounts for the rear
        Last edited by 6erWebb; 11-16-2009, 07:23 PM.

Comment

I dont have $1600.

Cutting my H&R's is always an option too, I suppose.

Comment

Im saving up for the GC conversion kit. Just need to figure out what length and spring rate i want as well as what shocks to run .

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
              Just go GC.
              Get the e28 kit. You don't need to have them do your housings- stock length is fine for your e24, as it sits on taller suspension components normally.
              Just put the spacers and inserts in, and you're good to go.
              What suspension are you running on your 5?

Comment

Originally posted by RidinLow View Post
                What suspension are you running on your 5?
                If I remember the 5er was on the GC full kit. 5er is now cut ST springs or H&R. I forget. The 6er then got the GC Full kit but that is gone now.

This is not 100% as I don't know for sure.

Could get the conversion and weld on perches and have adjustment while keeping a set of 'sport shocks'. With this route you are kind of limited in the rates you can run. Many sport shocks simply are not designed and cannot handle huge spring rates. Will equate to blown shots and a bumpy ride(essentially riding on springs as the shocks cannot control the springs).

Comment

NEX makes a kit for the e28. I couldn't find a build for a e28 or e24 but here is one for a e34 which requires the same work, http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1247834. The kit is sold on ebay from max speed performance, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT. I'm leaning toward the NEX kit because its less then half the price of the GC kit and involves the same amount of work. Im not badmouthing the GC kit or trying to sell the NEX kit. Hope this helps you out.

Comment

Man, that doesn't look too bad!

I guess now it's between that Nex kit, the GC conversion kit, or cutting my H&R's.

Comment

Does anyone have the diameter of the front strut tube?
                      sigpic

BMW M5 V8 1993
                      Slowtoys CC

Comment

For what? an E24 or E28?

I know an E28 is 43mm for the shock diameter ( inner diameter of the strut tube ) and the outer diameter of the strut housing is 50.5mm
                        Last edited by GermanlookT3; 12-31-2009, 06:09 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I am very happy with my NEXs FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by GermanlookT3 View Post
                            For what? an E24 or E28?

I know an E28 is 43mm for the shock diameter ( inner diameter of the strut tube ) and the outer diameter of the strut housing is 50.5mm
                            Thx. This is just what I needed to know. I don't like the e34 setup NEX makes, b/c you need a special type spring, I have a boxfull of different rate springs for normal 2" coilover setup and I was wondering if you can weld the e28/e24 setup to e34 strut.
                            sigpic

BMW M5 V8 1993
                            Slowtoys CC

Comment

Originally posted by herrakani View Post
                              Thx. This is just what I needed to know. I don't like the e34 setup NEX makes, b/c you need a special type spring, I have a boxfull of different rate springs for normal 2" coilover setup and I was wondering if you can weld the e28/e24 setup to e34 strut.
                              Hmmmm, not sure. You will have to measure the E34 strut and compare numbers. Even if they dont exactly match you may still be able to get them to work.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X