Dad left his bikes to the kids.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad left his bikes to the kids.

I'm the youngest son, and my older brothers and sister took all his other nice motorbikes. There were three old bikes left, none of while actually are drivable.

I've moved them over to my little garage and have some free time.

PROBLEM: I know about cars, but not about bikes.
    SOLUTION: Let me know what you can see on these three things.

Bike #1 A 1985ish (88?) Kawasaki GPZ 550

Mom says the bike starts and runs fine, but she can't find the key for it. I looked on eBay but I'm not sure of the year or anything, so I don't want to jump on an ignition until I know more. It's a great looking bike, just needs some serious cleaning and a way to get it started.

Kawasaki GPZ 550

Bike #2
    Yamaha dirt bike

I know nothing about this thing, other then it is missing something big in the center of it. It was dad's dirt bike that he raced around a bit when I was younger. He fell off it once I remember and broke his arm, it was manly.

Can anyone see what it is that is needed in the middle of it there? There's a hole at the back of the block (the thing with heat fins) that hisses when I moved the kick starter. There is a gas line coming down from the tank (through a fuel cut off valve). Towards the tail is a plastic box thing with an opening aimed down into this space.

The Yamaha Dirt Bike

Bike #3 Yamaha parts bike of some sort

This was a parts bike, but for what other bike I have no idea. I called my brothers and sister and they didn't know anything about it. There is only this and the Yamaha dirt bike, no other Yamaha bikes around. This one has a carb, but no fuel tank or headlight

Shitty Parts Bike

Any help at all is appreciated.

could the hole in the block be for a spark plug? only thing I can really think of.
    '87 NA Toyota Supra 5spd stock with 68K original miles (garage)

'04 Blue ZX3 2.3l 5spd W/K&N CAI, 6000k HID projector headlights/Foglights, Magnaflow 2.5"catback exhaust, 17" Ford Racing Rally wheels DGR coilovers tucking tire

Phi Kappa Tau

Comment

For the dirt bike... Most motors need a way to get fuel in the engine, dirt bikes use a carb...

You couldn't tell by looking at the parts bike? That theres a large piece missing...

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
        I'm the youngest son, and my older brothers and sister took all his other nice motorbikes. There were three old bikes left, none of while actually are drivable.

I've moved them over to my little garage and have some free time.

PROBLEM: I know about cars, but not about bikes.
        SOLUTION: Let me know what you can see on these three things.

Bike #1 A 1985ish (88?) Kawasaki GPZ 550

Mom says the bike starts and runs fine, but she can't find the key for it. I looked on eBay but I'm not sure of the year or anything, so I don't want to jump on an ignition until I know more. It's a great looking bike, just needs some serious cleaning and a way to get it started.

Kawasaki GPZ 550

Bike #2
        Yamaha dirt bike

I know nothing about this thing, other then it is missing something big in the center of it. It was dad's dirt bike that he raced around a bit when I was younger. He fell off it once I remember and broke his arm, it was manly.

Can anyone see what it is that is needed in the middle of it there? There's a hole at the back of the block (the thing with heat fins) that hisses when I moved the kick starter. There is a gas line coming down from the tank (through a fuel cut off valve). Towards the tail is a plastic box thing with an opening aimed down into this space.

The Yamaha Dirt Bike

Bike #3 Yamaha parts bike of some sort

This was a parts bike, but for what other bike I have no idea. I called my brothers and sister and they didn't know anything about it. There is only this and the Yamaha dirt bike, no other Yamaha bikes around. This one has a carb, but no fuel tank or headlight

Shitty Parts Bike

Any help at all is appreciated.
        Thing needed would be a carb, the black box is more than likely the air box and filter......im guessing it would be a 125cc so I would take the carb from the parts bike and bolt it onto the back of the cylinder (thing with the fins) then squirt some fuel into this with the throttle open. Get a pipe and attatch the airbox tube to the carb, attatch the fuel pipe to the top of the carb (probably be a breather on the bottom), put a new spark plug in it and give it a few kicks....there are not many things to go wrong with this type of engine so as long as its sparking and is getting fuel then it should run

The GPZ will be roughly an 88-92 on the year, this should help you to find an ignition system for it.

Comment

^ Listen to him.

E30 V8 Build thread

Go here be happy!

Instagram: stuartrussell

Store: alwaysindividual.bigcartel.com

Comment

Just thought I'd update!

The GPz550 runs and drives and I spent last summer/fall on it. The other bikes are still works in progress.

Comment

Working...
            X