X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tired of hearing no

hello all,
    i currently own a set of 19x10 & 19x8.5 SSR GT3 wheels
    i want to have them refinished. the lips are dull & one is rashed but not bad.
    I am looking to get the lips all to a mirror shine & have something done to the face but every shop in Atl says not to take them apart, or they won't & don't recommend it. Is this a true statement that this wheel should not be taken apart?

false they can be taken apart but make sure u have blue loctite new hardware (if needed) and torque specs on hand...check this out

do it yourself! how to polish rims!Uradi sam, poliranje ruba felgi
    Last edited by fatboy.yoshi; 11-13-2009, 04:06 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

People take 3 piece wheels apart all the time. You just have to reseal them when you are finished.
      sigpic

Comment

I was told that SSR does not release the torque specs
        Also i wanted to upgrade/replace the rear barrels with larger ones or ones from a SSR with a lower offset.

Comment

Alot of wheel shops in Seattle bitch about trying to reseal 3-piece wheels after they are taken apart.

I suggest doing some research until you are confident you know how to do it, take them apart pay the shop to do what you want, then put them back together yourself.

Comment

Ok i think i am gonna pull the trigger on this.
            I have been searching for a some 350z fitment rears but have had no luck.
            so my plan is to disassemble everything, send the outer barrels out to be chromed,
            then refinish the faces, & finally repaint the inner barrel.
            does anyone know if i can use different bolts to reassemble. I would like to use black bolts.
            Does anyone see any problems i might run into?

here is a picture of the wheels & the car

Comment

The way I see it. It was done at some point or another. Those wheels are three peice...so at one time they were in three peices no? Rip em apart, inspect, see how the engineers did it, then replicate or rethink.

On another note, are you taking those to a shop? Id do it yourself, cheaper and more gratifying. all you need for the lips is sandpaper and a mothers powerball, as for the faces alot of people wont agree but only super pros can tell the difference form paint from a gun and paint from a spray can. That is if you're good.

good luck, -Webb

Comment

Originally posted by 6erWebb View Post
                as for the faces alot of people wont agree but only super pros can tell the difference form paint from a gun and paint from a spray can. That is if you're good.
                Not true. The paint that comes out of a can will always be thinner than that from a gun, and thus weaker. paint chips on rattle can'd wheels are inevitable.

Comment

well i am thinking of doing the disassembly my self so i can have the barrels straightened & chromed. I don't know about the reassembly yet. I have to figure out who to let do the faces. i do not want to go back with paint. i want to do something different. i just wish i could get bigger outer barrels. I was going for maybe an Iforged look when all is done

Comment

Working...
                  X