my mark 2 golf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my mark 2 golf

same as my other thread, just copying from another forum.

Hey everyone, seen this wee car in the buy an sell last week and decided i had to have it. rang him up an said id be up at the start of the week. was under the pretense that the timin belt was broke so i was gettin an engine lined up. went up last night to bangor and lifted it.

started into it this mornin and realised that it had just snapped the alternator belt! Result! battery was flat so i stuck the booster pack on it and it went first turn of the key. was the first time it had been goin since november.

so far ive put a new alternator belt on, new brake pads stripped out the rear seats and boot carpets etc. interior is in a sorry state but it was gonna be changed anyway!

heres a few pics from this mornin. have washed it up in below and outside and its MINT in beneath! really impressed so far.

have started strippin the car down now. took the splash guarda off and washed in round the arches and in beneath properly. its very clean to say the least. have the windows out and doors off now but have now pics of that yet. heres a few for now.

few more wee pics. been footerin away this past few nights. onlt have the car a week today so im doin ok. stripped and stone chipped the sills today and the arches aswell.

some pics. comments appreciated

ok everyone stone chipped in below the car tonite and patched up the exhaust. took the sunroof out aswell. only pics of in below for now.

oh and ive straightened the wee bit on the sill now! lol

eights all round, 280mm steering wheel and no power steering?? Should be fun! lol

heres a bit of an update, ill let the pics do the talkin.

heres the car in the garage, hada put the sunroof back in cos it slept outside for a few nights

and the rear panel welded and filled, along with the wiper blank for left hookers

Drivers door (huge dent and bit rusty at the bottom and to be honest, havent the funds at the minute to buy a new one!

Boot Floot

Previous owner was a decorator and i think he put more paint on the boot floor than the customers walls. so it was soaked in thinners to soften paint, scraped, cleaned and rubbed down, then covered with a fine stone chip. mainly because this cars gonna be used. i normally have a tool box or parts in the boot so it needs to take a bit of abuse

also smoothed off the grooves in the back panel and also the lower panel

haven been at it much as i've been busy with uni work and the mark 5 so had today off and decided to get back into it.

tidied up the body work and flatted down the primer on the shell.

also tidied up where i remover the rear wiper and washer jet.

was having problems with the cooling and what not so i decided to flush out the radiators and replace thermostat etc.

got the radiator out and it was filled with pure crap so then moved on to cleaning expansion tank and what not.

went to take off the thermostat housing and broke a bolt, then and allen key bolt head rounded off so i had to snap of the housing and take the bolt out with pliers. then realied the thermostat had already been removed

then sat back and thought i'll not have it finished for this summer as i want the mark 5 finished for edition 38 so i decided to take the engine out and paint the engine and smooth the bay while hiding all the wiring

battered on anyway and took the alternator off, battery out, exhaust manifold, centre section and a few bits and pieces.

hopefully have it out tomorrow if i have no work heres some pics.

comments appreciated

heres the proper update now.

engine is all painted up now. washed the engine and gearbox.
    got it into the garage and started stripping it apart.

drained engine oil and gear oil. took drives off and split the box from the engine.
    once it was split i fitted the clutch i ordered this morning but they never sent the timing belt and filters that i ordered.

anyways ill let the pictures do the talking. comment and criticism appreciated.

engines in and goin, waiting on my top fill radiator and new exhaust gasket before i totally finish the 'bay.

heres some pics

considering throwing the pierburg carb in the bin for some twin 40's? need to try source an inlet manifold.

the quarter panel reacted so had to sand it out but at least it was only one panel. also got more wheels. rough but will tidy up. need some wobble bolts tho. white centres and polished dish to come.

poke?

i have a choice of 7x13 or 8 x13. im clearly going for 8's. gonna strip the axle out tonight along with fuel lines, brake lines and exhaust the paint the inner arches and floor. will sandblast the axle also.

got a bit more done, axle back in, tank in, old shocks in for now. someone stole one of my alleycats so have to try get another one now. some homemade camber shims were fitted too. few pics of stevomk2's golf in there aswell.

thanks to young logue who uploaded the photos as my photobucket wouldnt work.

c+c appreciated

not much of an update but red or white?

also have a mark 4 gt tdi interior and a mark 4 dash to go into it aswell

comments appreciated

Comment

Very nice! Love restorations. Keep us posted for sure!

Comment

This is gonna be awesome!

Comment

white please. the red is EW.

Comment

Looks like a cool build. i like the white on the wheels.

Comment

looking good

Comment

coming along nicely, good work.

Comment

WELL FUCKIN' DONE! I love me some MK2 Vw's.
                  I like the red.

Comment

Working...
                  X