Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tiburon that needs Stance!

Well, I'll throw together a blog/build for my Tibby. Here we go:

Long story short, used to have a 99 WS6, totaled it trying to beat traffic on a left turn. Ended up with a Tiburon after having bad luck trying to procure a last gen Prelude... I know, odd switch. Bimmer's were actually on top of my list as I have always been a fan, except my lack of true knowledge and my folks being stupid, made me think that I wouldn't be able to afford a new nut or bolt on the e36's I was looking at if anything broke... obviously I know that it's a pretty easy car to work on now, but sadly, I didn't then.

The Tibby world is one that seems to be pretty heavily dominated with body kits, usually done right at least, but there are still some pretty wild ones. I knew I didn't want to go that route however I wanted my car to look unique. Probably the reason I wound up liking this place so much. In addition to the badass Bimmers everywhere.

When I arrived home I immediately hit the web looking for whatever parts I thought I could affix to the car to make a perfect amalgamation of automotive goodness.

This was my blank canvas, just a few days after I bought it.

I had decided that the first round of mods I would do to the car would be new KDM badges, and a short antenna, as well as shaving off the Tiburon badges. Also a billet grille was in the works.

Here we see the Tuscani centercap for the wheel.

And this is the emblem that will replace the H on the trunk and hood.

Next we have the emblem on the car, with the Tiburon and GT badges removed.

And finally the top billet grill mounted. It was too dark for pics by the time I got the bottom one on. But pictures down the line will show you how that looks.

I was pretty satisfied with the look of the car thus far, but obviously it needed a little more.

As I was browsing the net one day I came across a little gem that not only did I think was a very sharp mod for the Tib, but also was a pretty uncommon modification as far as the "Tiburon Scene" is concerned. It was a carbon fiber front splitter made by a company called APR. The only problem with the thing was it was going to be about 400 dollars shipped. It is my guess that this is the reason it's not a common mod. For the second time with this car luck seemed to be on my side. I had mentioned that I was looking at the splitter on one of the local sections of a forum, and a member responded that he had one sitting on his floor never used with all the hardware. So we settled on an awesome price and a quick trip to the bank and then Tempe netted me what has to be one of my favorite mods to date. And here she is.

A thread going around on one of the Tiburon forums was pretty much advertising a set of HID lights that could be found on eBay for an amazing price at a great quality, so I hit them up and within 2 days they arrived. After about 30 minutes 4300k HIDs could officially be added to my rapidly growing list of mods.

4th of July was approaching, and I still hadn't done something about the stereo yet. Had the Infinity system been of lower quality I probably would have ripped it out within a week of owning the car, but like I said it was pretty decent so I didn't mind yet. On top of that I needed to order more parts for the install, but that would have to wait for my next check. Payday hit and I got the last of the install parts so it was time to tear out the factory system. We went to work on the car and within 2 days of working in a super cramoed garage we had the car buttoned back up and everything working like a champ.

Comment

As it stood I was really happy with the way the pieces were falling together. I got some extra cash for a side job I did, so I ordered the KDM aluminum pedals. They came within a few days, and unlike the install of the MBA pedals on my Trans Am, these fit on with no problems what so ever. At the same time I ordered the pedals I decided it was time for my first performance modification. A short ram intake from Injen. They seemed to have the "best" SRI for the Tib, so I pulled the trigger and pressed buy.

Within a few days, the pedals came as was usual with this vendor, which is amazing since they are located in, and do 90% of their business out of Korea.
      They are kind of dirty, but you get the idea.

After a week and a half though the intake hadn't shown which was a concern, because the intake was one of the things that shipped directly form a warehouse here in the U.S. Upon contacting the vendor they said it had gotten lost in the mail and they could send me a new one, or give me a refund. I opted to get the new one, so I was back to waiting. Well long story short, I ended up going back and forth with them for about another month and a half before deciding that I would get a different product from them. It seems as if they were having a problem with Injen, and a lot of customers were having problems.

While all the intake ruckus was going down, I had seen a few Tibs with the spoiler removed, and absolutely fell in love with the look. I went out and got the stuff to temporarily remove mine so I could do a trial period and make sure I really wanted it gone. Well sure as shit, I was not going to put it back on there. Here's the result.

So I settled with the KDM vendor and changed my order to a fiberglass roof spoiler since I think it'll go nicely having removed the spoiler. It came in the mail today, and has yet to go on the car, as I am currently pricing body shops to fill the spoiler holes and paint the hatch and roof spoiler.

Comment

Here we see the roof spoiler I had opted for over the intake and also a set of recently developed eyelines for the headlights.

Comment

The shots from the intro thread. Here the grille was painted black, and also the brake calipers were done in silver.

1. (I apparently forgot to add stroke to this one)

Comment

Future plans for the car are to get a set of coilovers for it. I recently found out KW makes coils for this model Tiburon, so I might check them out. Only advertise a 2.5 inch max drop, which I dont think will be enough, not sure really. Also I want to pick up some Bronze Tenzo R DC-5 wheels in 18x8 for her as well. After that I'll probably get the spoiler holes filled and painted finally, and maybe shave the antenna. Finally I'll probably get a cat-back just to make the back look a little more aggressive and add a nice exhaust note.

We'll see how it goes from there. If I'm in a good place to keep her as is, I might try to pick up an e34 project car, if not, I might throw a couple little finishing touches onto the Tib. I guess only time will tell. And in between all of this, I need to buy myself a $2k video camera to start shooting with and hopefully help make a living...

Comment

Nice car man!
              My mom has had 3 different tiburons and they are nice little cars for sure

(rice graphics have since been removed)

Comment

Your car is missing a pedal

Not to be a *****, but you should trade it in for a Genesis, lol.

Car overall looks pretty good, I'm not a fan of the billet grills, but like everything else you've done to the car.

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by 1985zcar View Post
                  Your car is missing a pedal

Not to be a *****, but you should trade it in for a Genesis, lol.

Car overall looks pretty good, I'm not a fan of the billet grills, but like everything else you've done to the car.
                  Yep, it sure is. But this car was the right price so I had to settle.

I ended up painting the grills black as a result of me wanting to get rid of them, but didn't have many other options other than stock or a nice looking one that has terrible fitment issues.

I'd love a Genesis, but this car has to last, as I'm not really able to afford something brand new haha. That and I have my heart set on buying a BMW for my next car. I do think a Genny with a slew of AMS parts and good stance would make for a killer ride however

Thanks for the props though!

Comment

Working...
                  X