Pipes 'N' Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipes 'N' Stuff

As Motor Union approaches this week, the fervor and intensity at Fluid continues to ramp up. And we’re definitely hauling on the Explorer turbo build.

The last time we checked on the turbo Explorer, we had finished welding the manifolds, and the turbos and intercoolers were up next. Now, they’re no longer up next, they’re on the main stage! Let’s start with the turbos. To start with, the turbos just hung out in the engine bay, waiting for more fabricated steel to help the snail stand on its own two legs (if turbos have legs, which is still an unfounded theory). Both turbos had their flanges already cut out on the mill, and the first piece of pipe was tacked on in order to help determine placement for the remainder of the connecting pipe:

After some measuring, we started with tacking together the pipe to connect the turbo to the manifold:

After double-and-triple checking the pipe’s location for fitment and everything, we started welding. And the result is, well, much stronger than the tacked-together version. Strong enough to hold up the turbo on its own, that’s for sure.

Gratuitous welding shot!

With the passenger side finished, we move to the driver’s side.

Sadly, they don’t make mirror-version turbos, so the engine bay won’t be entirely symmetrical, but a little less piping to weld is never a complaint when you’re working as hard as possible to finish the job without losing an inch of precision.

Yet ANOTHER gratuitous weld shot? Sure!

And so the turbos are mounted, and half of the exhaust work is done. From here, all that’s left is routing the exhaust from the turbochargers out the back of the Explorer. But we’ll save that for another day…

Next, we approach the intercoolers. Instead of choosing to weld tons of small chunks of metal together, we took the proper route and just fabricated a small table-like structure to hold the intercooler in place. Starting with a base design and creating the mount around that, we made sure to keep these intercoolers as secure as possible, while also keeping them relatively close to the intake manifold to reduce heat soak in the charge piping. Utilizing already existing mounting points is a challenge, but certainly not the toughest challenge we’ve ever faced:

And the intercoolers are mounted! The driver’s side is mounted too, but the sides look exactly identical, so we didn’t include it in the picture-taking.

We’re putting together the downpipe right now on the passenger side, so already there’s even more progress than you see here. Stick around for more in the coming days! But you should also stick around town for Motor Union on Friday. Everybody else is doing it; so should you.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

these posts never dissapoint
    BMW E38
    That White Evo
    -SOLD
    instagram @kbuss
    flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago Low View Post
      these posts never dissapoint
      You're too nice

Are we gonna see you at Motor Union?

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
        You're too nice

Are we gonna see you at Motor Union?
        oh yes i will be there. i dont have a car to show or track but i am looking forward to just going to the event.

i assume the shop is closed friday? tell Tom i'm bringing my suburban, he should know who you are talking about lol
        BMW E38
        That White Evo
        -SOLD
        instagram @kbuss
        flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Chicago Low View Post
          oh yes i will be there. i dont have a car to show or track but i am looking forward to just going to the event.

i assume the shop is closed friday? tell Tom i'm bringing my suburban, he should know who you are talking about lol
          We will be closed on Friday, indeed.

And I will tell Tom that you're bringing the Suburban.

You should track it

www.fluidmotorunion.com
          www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
            We will be closed on Friday, indeed.

And I will tell Tom that you're bringing the Suburban.

You should track it
            this thing barely moves as it is
            IMG_3413.jpg
            BMW E38
            That White Evo
            -SOLD
            instagram @kbuss
            flickr

Comment

Working...
            X