Question About Headers/Pavement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About Headers/Pavement

I'm driving the falcon around and my headers hit on almost everything (like it hits on the middle of neighborhood streets because the sides are worn out by cars driving on them and it kinda peaks in the middle). Anyways, some people have me worried about if the headers hit the road hard enough that it could damage the cylinder heads. I guess they're saying that there's not enough give and since they're bolted to the cylinder heads...you know what I'm saying. Well what do you guys think? My muffler used to hit on my mercedes all the time but I never worried because it was located further away from the engine and always thought that the worst that would happen is the muffler itself would just get torn off. Also I have thought about switching from the longtubes back to the stock exhaust but that would make it slower/lose performance, and raising it is not an option. So I was planning on cutting/rewelding the headers so they sit higher off the ground. Do any of you guys have any experience? Do you think I should just let them drag? You don't think if they hit the ground hard enough they would move vertically enough to rip the cylinder heads? Or do you think they would just bend up/break or maybe even do damage to engine mounts before they did damage to the cylinder heads? Shocks are bottomed out in the front as well. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Here's a pic for reference about how low the headers are. It's not an exaggeration, that's in my garage on smooth/level ground. The headers are pretty much the only thing that I"m worried about hitting because other than them it's just frame that's that low and I don't really care if the frame hits.

What do you guys think?
    Instagram: danimal._
    Mercedes Build Thread
    Falcon Build Thread

there's been quite a few views, but no posts. Is it because this is a stupid question and the answer is to stop being a bitch? Or is no one is posting cause they have no idea? I figured this would be the site to ask since it's about altitude and whatnot
    Mercedes Build Thread
    Falcon Build Thread

Comment

headers on my 67 were about 1.5 off the ground . iv smacked them hard more times than i can count. and iv never had problem.

Comment

cool, thanks, ya I sorta figured that the cylinder heads wouldn't incur any damage from it but just wanted to be sure you know? Either way there's a big car show in Nov that I'm going to that's all about old cars and I'm hoping that one of the venders there will specialize in shocks that are made for lowered cars like mine.
        Mercedes Build Thread
        Falcon Build Thread

Comment

ya i never had a problem with bottoming out the shocks . just the headers haha . i could get almost 2 inches of tire tuck in the from but i was already 1.5 past bottoming out my headers

Comment

well I actually already tuck too much tire, sorta. Like I can turn pretty good now, but I plan on widening them so I'm planning on going with a smaller sidewall for the fronts and a little stretch. Different story for the rears. Gonna run a little stretch but will go with a bigger/meatier sidewall. I don't really like the "tucked" look that older cars always go with. When I'm driving down the road/highway I want the front to look really wide just enough to where you can see a little bit of the wheels. Kinda like this:
            Mercedes Build Thread
            Falcon Build Thread

Comment

I don't think it would damage the actual cylinder heads, but it might put some pressure on the studs that the manifolds bolt to, might bend them a bit at worst? Just a guess. Is there any room in the exhaust system to weld in some flex-pipe?

Comment

ya that's true, you're prolly right about the studs. As for flex pipe, I'm not sure what that is. Like, if you see in that picture, the part that's really low to the ground is before the individual pipes collect into one pipe. So what I was thinking I may do if it was dangerous was to cut and re-weld the individual pipes so that it sat a little higher. But now I think I'm just gonna leave it the way it is. And go slow over big bumps that I think it will take a lot of shock from. It sucks that there's no travel in the shocks. Then if I can get some better shocks with more travel maybe that will take some of the shock from exhaust. So like rather than just hitting the exhaust, it will hit the exhaust and some of the force will go though the shocks rather than the studs? IDk. haha.
                Mercedes Build Thread
                Falcon Build Thread

Comment

the only real solution i can see would be custom headers, with a collector that sits heaps higher up, straight into some flex pipe.

Comment

I would be careful if I were you, I have a stud that broke a little bit off my cylinder head from my header hitting the ground, sorry if this sounds worrying...

Comment

Originally posted by trism View Post
                      the only real solution i can see would be custom headers, with a collector that sits heaps higher up, straight into some flex pipe.
                      aka shorty headers and not longtubes. You dont need to custom make them
                      Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                      he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

OP, be VERY careful about this happen. I just finished helping my friend change out the exhaust on his 5.0 Mustang that was slammed. His headers hit the road everywhere and caused an exhaustleak at the block, and a small leak at the collector to Y pipe fitting. Its def not a good thing, and don't just ignore it.

Do you have any room to tuck the exhaust into the frame, or get a pair of shorties and tuck the downpipe closer in?
                        | 92 Corolla AE92 | HKS SMF, Testpipe, Hyperco/Tokico/GC | Houston, TX | 86Garage |

Comment

Originally posted by luvadubdub View Post
                          I would be careful if I were you, I have a stud that broke a little bit off my cylinder head from my header hitting the ground, sorry if this sounds worrying...
                          it's very worrying haha, thanks for the warning tho
                          Originally posted by benz88 View Post
                          aka shorty headers and not longtubes. You dont need to custom make them
                          I don't like shorties
                          Originally posted by kaidotech View Post
                          OP, be VERY careful about this happen. I just finished helping my friend change out the exhaust on his 5.0 Mustang that was slammed. His headers hit the road everywhere and caused an exhaustleak at the block, and a small leak at the collector to Y pipe fitting. Its def not a good thing, and don't just ignore it.

Do you have any room to tuck the exhaust into the frame, or get a pair of shorties and tuck the downpipe closer in?
                          Ya, I think one of these days I'm going to cut the exhausts before they collect into one and reweld them to bring them above the frame. In that picture that's the frame that the phone is sitting on, so if I could just bring up the headers prolly 6 inches? I should be good
                          Mercedes Build Thread
                          Falcon Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by HWY HNTR View Post
                            it's very worrying haha, thanks for the warning tho

I don't like shorties

Ya, I think one of these days I'm going to cut the exhausts before they collect into one and reweld them to bring them above the frame. In that picture that's the frame that the phone is sitting on, so if I could just bring up the headers prolly 6 inches? I should be good
                            Shorten the runners (where they run vertical), and then run them at the slightest angle you can manage until they get far enough to meet the rest of the exhaust. Use some flex pipe if needed. The rest of the exhaust may need work as well.

This is definitely not going to be the most efficient or power producing header around, but based on your ride height I don't think that's really a priority with this build, correct?
                            StatusRacing.com
                            Configure YOUR Seat Here
                            Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                            Email: sales@statusracing.com
                            Fan us on Facebook

Comment

More likely to just damage the headers, or at most the studs, but really, do you want to push your luck? Even just a cracked or bent stud, or anything that causes a leak at the head will make for a very shitty day.

Comment

Working...
                              X