Style 5's - neverending refurb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Style 5's - neverending refurb

Hi! new to the board, let this be my introductory post.

This is where I started a couple of weeks ago.

BBS RC 035/039. Badly out of shape. Three semi-polished lips and one lip with the lacquer still left. Stock gray centers. But still straight and not too much curb rash on these things, luckily. At that moment I thought about taking the wheels apart, getting them sandblasted, painting everything black and reassemble them with some fresh gold bolts.

I started by taking 3 of them apart, cleaning the barrels with nitromors and sanding the biggest scratches away from the barrels. Then decided to paint the inner side of the barrels black. At this point I had given off the idea of painting them totally black. I needed some shine in my life and decided to polish the lips. At least. So just some sanding, black paint and many nights spent thinking about the possible color scheme for the centers. Wheel whoring can drive you mad, at least in my case.

Now with the barrels glossy black, it was time to sand the hell out of the centers and destroy my fingers. As you can see, one wheel is missing. It is because it is the only one that has 12pt nuts rear, and I don't yet have the tool to open them. I was thinking of painting the centers gold. Then I remembered that there is a guy in close where I live who has got a super nice alpine white e30 cab with polished/gold bbs rs. As my car is also alpine white, yet 5-series e34, it would have been too similar to his car. Like a big brother. And gold was too seen imo. Maybe polish the whole thing? Yeah let's go for it. Damn impossible, let it be. And I was at the point of no return, had to get stuff done! It was really bugging me.

While my workstation looked like hell, an idea was growing up somewhere in the darkest and deepest corners of my head. Felt like a champion. Now it would be only a matter of time/cash money, not the lack of imagination. Thanks goes to my energy lamp seen in the photo above for cheering me up (it's dark 70 % of the day, this season sucks).

It was time for some polishing action. Had no experience of it whatsoever, so it was pretty much trial and error. At least the lips came out decent enough for my needs. Some pits and scratches can be seen but only in the "right" angle.

Add some black miniatyre paint and test fit. I can't really explain how euforic I felt when I saw the result. I jumped around and was lying on the floor, just staring at the glaze of just polished lips and the semi-black centers. I'm going to polish the face of the center a bit more, add the gold bolts when I get them and move on to the 2nd wheel. Sure it's a long way to go, but as I have one wheel done everything will become a lot easier.

My goal is to get these done before Christmas. I will keep this thread updated, as something significant progress happens. I love how they look like some older style bbs wheels, still maintaining the original style 5 look. And no, I'm not going to use center caps with these, (?). Lets see. Now it's time to crack open some cold ones and chill for a week or so.
    sigpic

that looks awesome, i want to do the same thing but with body color paint in the center mesh.

Comment

It would be so dope if it was AW instead of black.

Comment

Holy shit that looks awesome, black was a good choice.
        Originally posted by da3bous
        I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

Damn, I can't wait to see these finished and on a dope e34

Do work man, get 'em done.

Comment

sick!
              -Jorge-

Comment

haha looks good i was thinking about this but with gold inners

Comment

Looks awesome like that. I'd like to do that to a set of 5's for my car, but with a deep red or burgundy instead of black.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah it is a lot of work still left, but who cares. The pressure for the car itself is getting higher and higher as the wheels are getting prepped... haha.
                    sigpic

Comment

Wow. That looks great!
                      -Nick

Comment

i love how suttle and clean those look

Comment

look like dubbr's rs'

www.effineuro.com

Comment

Looks but, but might as well do it right while they're already disassemble. Try to get it all polished, even in the corner areas.

Comment

I absolutely LOVE what you've done with the center! Can't wait to see these finished and on a car, that will look baller!

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

Working...
                              X