Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Starter Solenoid?

Hey guys,

I'm having a no-start situation on my S14...

- '95 S14 with S13 Blacktop SR20DET
    - Dash lights/dummy lights come on, AC vent fans come on, wipers work, headlights work, lights do NOT dim when in start position on key
    - Able to push start the car (that's how I got home)
    - No difference when jumping the battery to start
    - Able to spin/start the starter when jumping the two posts on the starter together with screwdriver. That leads me to believe the solenoid on the starter is bad.
    - Ignition and starter fuses are good
    - Already replaced ignition switch with new OEM one

I've found that ISIS and Mishimoto make brand new replacement starters for the SR20DET. Before I go out and buy a starter (or even do a headswap from a KA starter and do a rebuild), does anyone have any more ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

Car in question:

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
    Originally posted by Jedidiah
    he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

have a buddy tap the starter with a hammer while you crank. sometimes it gets the solenoid (if it is the solenoid) to engage.

Comment

Those starters usually have a very simple set of brass contacts that operate the solenoid. Sometimes these can be cleaned or replaced for not a lot of money. My guess is that it may share contacts with the KA24 starter. I believe the solenoid can be removed by 2 or 3 bolts. PM me for a more in depth walkthrough if needed.

Comment

Thanks guys for the suggestions, but it turned out to be the the rubber bushing that touches the clutch button on the pedal lol.
        Originally posted by Jesus Christ
        if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
        Originally posted by Jedidiah
        he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Working...
        X