Seperating lips from the barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seperating lips from the barrels

Hey, I am in the process of refinishing my 3-piece wheels and I am unsure of how to get the lips apart from the barrels. I have already gotten the centers out which was fairly easy, but im not exactly sure how to go about splitting the rest and what would be best to use in the process.

Thanks for any input.

what type of wheels? some need heat (bbs), others just need force.
    2011 Outback 2.5i 6MT #subarubaru - daily/off-pavement adventure vehicle
    2001 BMW 325i Wagon 6MT #daswagoon - wife's #becauseracewagon
    1996 Suburban 2500 TD #superbbourbon - tow bitch/people hauler

Comment

Originally posted by frink84 View Post
      what type of wheels? some need heat (bbs), others just need force.
      yeap and a rubber hammer

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wesleygti/

Comment

Like they said a rubber hammer or deadblow and a block of wood, then remove the sealer as shown here.

Comment

Use a stanley knife to slice through the sealant around the barrell before using the hammer.

Comment

Arizona sun works well. Can you get that where you are?

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

I put mine on the grill. haha. It worked like a charm, just make sure you use some oven mits when taking them off.

Comment

They are OZ's. So I'm guessing a heat gun will be my best option, or something similar. How about a propane torch? I have several of those in my garage, just carefully work around the edge.

Comment

what kind of OZ's?
                  -Matt

Comment

Futuras. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the bolts. Ideally I would like them anodized a purple color or some kind of paint/powder/something. But have no clue where to start or where I could have them sent to.

Comment

maybe put a thread up on the wichita or kc bmw sites and see if there is a local place that would powder bolts. I seem to remember talking to someone local about coating bolts.

Comment

you can also use a widow maker and "jack" the halves apart.
                        “The first race was conceived when the second car was built.”

+ Josh @ BlownEuros

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
                          Arizona sun works well. Can you get that where you are?
                          I do

Comment

Is it even necessary to separate them? Im just going to be cleaning them up and doing a little more polishing on the lips, and painting the centers. Or because I have already taken them half apart should I continue and redo all the sealing?

Comment

If you think you can polish with them together I wouldn't even bother taking them apart, there really is no purpose other than for ease of use. The only reason I would really take a set apart is to add bigger lips so leave em as is, they are sealed perfect right now.
                              iiililillillliliil
                              bar|society

Comment

Working...
                              X