Daily driving an E28. Good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daily driving an E28. Good idea?

So, I figured that since most people on StanceWorks are pretty knowledgeable on BMWs yet down to earth (no pun intended), I'd ask here.

I'm looking at E28s and I like what I see. Is it a good idea to be daily driving it? I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, past experiences that anyone may have; stuff like reliability, gas mileage, how it is to live with. Smooth sailing, or fixing it up every two days?

I know it's probably a stupid question, so bear with me.
    Pictars Here.

Depends on the car. Has the owner done any work to it with receipts? My e28 was a champ until i got rid of it for my e30. But i did replace my icv about 3 times on it.

Comment

I have owned my car for a year, and pre motor swap I drove it 15,000 miles (I have 5,000 on the swap without any issues, but that doesn't really apply). It never once broke down on me. They have minor annoyances, but most things won't leave you stranded, and could be fixed in a weekend. About the only common things that will are the crank position sensor, and the fuel pumps. Both of those once replaced are good to go for quite a while however. My car was a 525e (Euro car, but its the equivalent of a 528e) and it got 25+mpg easily, and I drove it somewhat hard. Never gave me any trouble.

All that said, none of that fucking matter's, because e28's are cool as shit so you should buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

All that said, none of that fucking matter's, because e28's are cool as shit so you should buy one.
        hahaha

I've been dailying one for a few months now. They're pretty damn reliable actually. The front end bushings and steering components needed to be replaced, as these cars are notorious for a "shimmy" at highway speeds, but considering what I had to work with (sat for 5+ years without being started or driven whatsoever) it really is a tank. Contrary to popular belief, old BMW's are exceedingly easy to work on and the parts are actually not that expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

Very strong argument.

Thanks for the replies, I'm actually pretty tolerant with "minor annoyances". For example, my Cressida that I daily right now has completely blown struts, broken transmission mounts, rear knuckles and bearings that are on the way out, and probably a lot more wrong than just these things. But, it runs.

Keeping in mind that I'm daily driving it, Is there a particular E28 that I should go for? Certain engine or transmission to go for/ keep away from?

Good to know that your 525e was doing great pre-engine swap. I've been looking at the 528e, they seem pretty abundant around my area.
          Pictars Here.

Comment

Originally posted by C-Hutch View Post
            hahaha

it really is a tank. Contrary to popular belief, old BMW's are exceedingly easy to work on and the parts are actually not that expensive.
            totally, my friend has an e24 that he daily drives, never a problem, always starts. it's more reliable then my 07 tacoma.

build thread?

Comment

I've been diving deeper into the world of classic BMWs. How are E30s when it comes to daily driving? Easy to live with, reliable? Sorry for the dumb questions.

E28s, E30s, seriously cool cars. Just wondering if I should get one as a daily.
              Pictars Here.

Comment

I have friends with e21s, e30s and e28s and they all have been daily driven with little problem. The only issues with my e21: the fuel pump(replaced with a holley) and a small wiring problem...and lack of power but I have a m20 and a 5 speed from a e30 to fix that

If you do get a e28 get one with a 3.5l and a 5 speed

Comment

All that said, none of that fucking matter's, because e28's are cool as shit so you should buy one.[/QUOTE]

Quote of the week right here. Just look for a car with maintenance records and no leaks. If the engine bay or any other part of the car were recently detailed, be suspicious. People do that to cover up leaks sometimes.
                  StatusRacing.com
                  Configure YOUR Seat Here
                  Tel: 1.480.265.8600
                  Email: sales@statusracing.com
                  Fan us on Facebook

Comment

E28's are fun as hell. actually all of the older bimmers are that I've driven/ owned. most E30's I see have been beat on by wanna-be drift stars & carry issues with their subframes cracking. this is not so in the 5er & is quoted as being BMW's most reliable motor ever (3.5L) I'd stay away from the others & source eurobumpers when you can afford it. mine is a 535i with 4.10 lsd, removed cats, & continually upgrading suspension. they handle awesome & respond shockingly well to the mods I've been able to complete.

not sure what else to include, but just ask. most of us here know plenty in regards to all the BMW chassis'

Comment

Sweet Jesus, that new E28 feature on the front-page has made me really want an E28. Bad Going to look at one Sunday, possibly.
                      Pictars Here.

Comment

E28 and e30 can be daily driven with minimal problems. Change outthe front suspension components and the car will driver very nice. I took mine on a 5000 mile roadtrip and all I had to do was make sure the oil level was good and there was gas in the tank.

I would never have sold mine if I didn't find an e34 that has caught my eye.

Comment

e28>e30

build thread?

Comment

I say go for it!

I drive an e24 M6 daily.
                            So you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by FABEL View Post
                              E28's are fun as hell. actually all of the older bimmers are that I've driven/ owned. most E30's I see have been beat on by wanna-be drift stars & carry issues with their subframes cracking. this is not so in the 5er & is quoted as being BMW's most reliable motor ever (3.5L) I'd stay away from the others & source eurobumpers when you can afford it. mine is a 535i with 4.10 lsd, removed cats, & continually upgrading suspension. they handle awesome & respond shockingly well to the mods I've been able to complete.

not sure what else to include, but just ask. most of us here know plenty in regards to all the BMW chassis'
                              e30 subframe issues are far from common. The e36 has 30x as many subframe issues as an e30 does. Bushing wear is about all you can reasonably expect out of the rear end

both e30s and e28s, as long as they are decent runners to begin with and maintenance kept up with, can be tanks. The only real leg up e28s have is the lack of timing belt that e30s have, and need to be replaced regularly.
                              Last edited by Stephen; 07-24-2011, 01:41 PM.

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X