No announcement yet.

i need tires removed... can i do this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i need tires removed... can i do this?

so im being super cheap here...

ive got 4 wheels and i need the tires taken off them...

and i may get flamed for this,
    but can i just slice each tire to take it off? or will the belts not allow me to?

I think you would need some serious cutting power to get through the steel belts but you might get away with just cutting the sidewall enough to clear the wheel.

Comment

the sidewall was the plan

Comment

Dont do it, why risk ruining the wheel to save $20? most tire shops in my area take tires off wheels for $5 or less each.

Comment

its $50 for all 4 here., lowest price ive found so far.

how could i ruin the wheel? the plan of attack would be going through like maybe 4 razor blades per tire, 2 on each side wall (idk how tough these tires are/how long a blade will last)

Comment

are you going to mount new ones? they usually take the old ones off for free if you mount new ones. maybe you taking time to polish the wheels?
            sigpic
            1990 Nissan fairlady Z32 - long term build
            1982 euro porsche 930 turbo

"A less- assuming enthusiast probably wouldnt even think that this Z ran because of how naked the engine compartment was. The motor looks as if it just floats there, with nothing else in sight." Super Street 9/2012

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=19185

Comment

The bead of the tire is like a half inch thick of metal- good luck cutting through that with a razor blade. Even if you cut the tread off you still need to get that off and it will just be that much harder.

Just go to some car meets and find someone that works at a shop. I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

Comment

you will never make it through the belts or beads with a razorblade, you will need a sawzall or cutoff wheel in the least, as well as spare blades for either, you will likely damage the wheels until you get the hang of it. I removed several from older 14" aluminum alloys so I could trade them in as scrap, but I would never to it to a wheel I was going to run again. If you slip with the sazall/cutoff wheel you could gash the sealing surface of the wheel itself, making it damn hard to get a new tire to hold air.

Erik

P.S. if your really good you can change tires(the old fashoned way) by hand with a set of spoons, but a usable(read long) set of spoons will run you $100 and still won't allow you to change lo-profile tires or runflats. Just to CYA know that they can spring back inder tension and break bones, which as always makes the chore fun and exciting.

Comment

the simple answer is feasibly, no

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Just look around for more tire shops. Most of my local shops will remove tires for free...$5/ea at most.

Comment

I find it hard to believe that the best quote you could find for a dismount was $50. You need to look harder bro.

Comment

im getting some rubber dismounted for 20$ today

Flickr

Comment

If the tires are good, just trade the tire shop your tires for their FREE labor.

Originally posted by Moose
                          And roof racks with random shit on it, stop that.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
                            the simple answer is feasibly, no
                            im thinking this. seems like too much trouble

Originally posted by SeanDub View Post
                            I find it hard to believe that the best quote you could find for a dismount was $50. You need to look harder bro.
                            i called about 6 local shops (within driving reason) and the lowest i got was $10 per tire. i asked around to my honda friends and they say they usually go to like the mexican auto shops in shitty parts of town and they do it fro pretty cheap. im just concerned about them fvckin my wheels up tho. think ill be ok?

im just trying to save as much money as possible

Comment

Originally posted by handsome.garage View Post
                              If the tires are good, just trade the tire shop your tires for their FREE labor.
                              tires are all shit, so i dont care what happens to them. and i wont be mounting new tires, so i cant swap the labor

Comment

Working...
                              X