Widening wheels.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Widening wheels.....

Say I wanted to get a shop to widen my wheels from an 17x8.5 to a 17x9.5, how much do you think they'd charge for the rears?

School me.

Probably would depend on whether you would want to add to the lip or the barrel. I would bet the barrel would be cheaper because it doesn't have to look as pretty.

Is it really worth it though?

Comment

i know its not much, provided its local, it costs more to ship them out than to widen them

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

I have a link to a company that does this.. I called them before to widen my factory wheels and mind you they were 9" and I wanted them to be 11"..lol wanted to charge me around $150 a wheel. cause they needed so much to widen them..

If you like I can find the link

Contact me if you are interested in DPE Wheels edafe@dpe-wheels.com

Comment

are these factory wheels, aluminum, steel? I personally would never widen aluminum one piece wheels as the amount of heat needed to re-weld them together after they have been widen would stress the rest of the wheel and to be honest is quiet scary to me.
          Ryan

Comment

I'm getting some staggered contours for really cheap and wanted to do something like this to them.

I've always lived the fitment on this car and those wheels would be perfect on my alpine.

I figure that if I drop like $3-400 on getting these widened then I'm spending roughly $600 on a set of sick wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by Flavourless View Post
              are these factory wheels, aluminum, steel? I personally would never widen aluminum one piece wheels as the amount of heat needed to re-weld them together after they have been widen would stress the rest of the wheel and to be honest is quiet scary to me.
              it might be weaker but not to the point of it cracking over the first bump. i wouldnt do it to tenzo r wheels, but oem tends to overbuild the shit out of stock wheels

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

this place does it

but they quoted me $300 a wheel.
                definetly let me know if you find a place that does in in the tri-state area, I'd love to widen my racing hart one pieces.

Comment

Interesting I've been wondering about this.

Comment

I'm pretty sure its called 'banding" I knowthats what it is with steel wheels. I remember someone who had their IS300 factory wheels widened was saying he was having a really hard time finding someone till he called it banding. But I think in the end it couldn't be done because the wheels are aluminum. I think this is one of those things where you gotta just get new wheels.
                    -Sam
                    W126 420SEL & 500SEL

Comment

Originally posted by The Green Grundel View Post
                      I'm pretty sure its called 'banding" I knowthats what it is with steel wheels. I remember someone who had their IS300 factory wheels widened was saying he was having a really hard time finding someone till he called it banding. But I think in the end it couldn't be done because the wheels are aluminum. I think this is one of those things where you gotta just get new wheels.
                      im not gonna be a dick and call u an idiot or anything but tell me why you couldnt widen an aluminum wheel.

there is no reason you couldnt do so.

Comment

You just need to find someone good enough to weld aluminum, it doesnt have to do with weakening them.

A good welder can weld aluminum

Comment

Working...
                        X