What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I doing wrong?

My tires eat my front fenders. It started when I put the RF's on at this height

Not that low, pretty good stretch and horrible offsets. The tire would hit after turning the wheel about a half turn, and it grabbed the fender and pulled it back in while reversing. I figured it was because I wasn't low enough to have the fender hit the sidewall rather than the tread.

So I lowered it more and stretched the tires some more, went from a 205/40/17 on an 8 to a 205/45/16 on a 9 and dropped it down another inch and a half. They still hit like crazy, even with still-not-very-good offsets. You can see the fender issues in these kinda

So my thoughts were:
    -offsets were too high to let the fender hit the sidewall so it hits the tread
    -still not low enough
    -still not enough stretch

So I threw on the type B's (205/40/17 on 8.5's) and ran them flush at et-14. This closed up the wheel to arch gap to a quarter inch and has the most stretched look of all. It rubs absolutly horribly now, I can't turn the wheel more than a quarter turn either way without the tires rubbing hard enough to slow the car. What am I doing wrong? I've driven Josh's old M3 with the same wheel and tire setup that I have now and you can turn lock to lock, forward or reverse with no issues at all. I want to get a paint job but not until I can fix this so I don't go destroying new paint.

My next step is going down to a 205/40/16 up front and making the wheels 9.5's, I think the shorter tires may help a little? I'll only have a quarter inch to my oilpan with the 205/40/16's, so unfortunatly I cant go much shorter than that.

Cliffs: read the thread you slacker

Didnt read it, but camber helps a great deal, tire makes contact at a different angle or something lol

Comment

Yeah camber does wonders up front. Also, not turning the wheel when you go in reverse helps too.=P

IG: @_olliee

Comment

195's up front might help too

Comment

I've got 6.5 degrees of camber up front lol, the only 195 tire in a 16" is a s.drive that runs wider than my 205 Falkens

Comment

Originally posted by Byron View Post
            I've got 6.5 degrees of camber up front lol, the only 195 tire in a 16" is a s.drive that runs wider than my 205 Falkens
            tunershop has 195/40/16 Falken 912
            Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Forgot about tunershop tires. Double the price sucks but if I have to so be it. Has anyone had the same issue and fixed it with shorter tires? Thats the only differentiating factor between mine and others.

Look how far my tire is tucked into the sides of the fenders

compared to Josh's fenders

Comment

Drive more carefully? I was running 215/40 on an 8.5 et0 up front on the m3. Rubbed every time I turned the wheel, but I never sucked em in.

Comment

Thats what I'm saying though, why should my car kill the fenders when I turn if Josh can do whatever he wants with the same setup? I'm trying to figure out the difference between the two so I don't have to drive careful

Comment

You might have a more aggressive corner tread?

Comment

Literally the same exact setup right now, the type B's Josh was running were mine and they're on my car now.

Comment

I got nothing then lol

Comment

E30 fenders just pull very easily, rolling them completely flat so that there is nothing to "catch" on will help likely if you haven't done that already. Kinda late on this set, but maybe on the next
                          FWIW, you were lower than most on the RF's, and lower than all on the RS, so that is likely hurting more than its helping, just gotta be extra careful when reversing/turning tight. A shorter sidewall should cut down on it a bit too.

Comment

I think e30's just suck for going low haha. They fight originally with the extra tall struts and the low aluminum pans, then when you fix those problems they get mad and go into self destruct mode.

Comment

everyone forgets that there are caster settings as well. if you increase the amount of positive caster, you get more tire lean when turning...a bad way of explaining it is like dynamic negative camber on turns.
                              Originally posted by Kielan
                              I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X