E36 engine help! (noob)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 engine help! (noob)

i need some help. i got a 320i e36 as my first car, automatic (lol) and its sat for a while due to parents being.. well, parents. so i finally got a battery for it after a year and a bit (dont ask) and i started it up. at which point i noticed its idle is strangely high. its only high when its in neutral and park. when i put it in drive its at the normal idle. im thinking maybe its an idle control valve problem? or a vaccuum leak? is this a costly fix? or would it be covered in an ordinary tune-up.

heres a video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3yy14igFLw"]YouTube - ‪BMW 320I E36 Help‬‏[/ame]
    FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE

I would judge it to be the same issues as you think. Idle air control or cracked vacuum line.

You should be able to adjust your idle on the intake manifold, should be a screw that goes into the IAC box that you can adjust and see if that makes any difference.

I hope you figure it out

-Jade
    StatusRacing.com
    Configure YOUR Seat Here
    Tel: 1.480.265.8600
    Email: sales@statusracing.com
    Fan us on Facebook

Comment

I'm betting it's a vacuum leak. I would take a propane torch and open the fuel slightly but dont light the torch. place the torch near vacuum lines and see if the idle decreases. Don't forget, always do this in an open area.

Comment

Originally posted by Jlyons617 View Post
        I'm betting it's a vacuum leak. I would take a propane torch and open the fuel slightly but dont light the torch. place the torch near vacuum lines and see if the idle decreases. Don't forget, always do this in an open area.
        or carb cleaner if u dont have access to propane. Just dont use brake cleaner, it will mess up your o2 sensors. And try to not spray on exhaust and alternator

Comment

thanks alot guys. i had a feeling it was the ICV. BUT i was driving it the other day (on my g1 cause im a boss) and it started revving itself in drive, so it basically drove itself. that was QUITE alarming to say the least. and statusracing i wanna try that thing with the idle anyway, i think its pretty cool. i always wondered wut was under that little box by the intake,
          FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE

Comment

Working...
          X