First car, E36 help (with video)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First car, E36 help (with video)

i need some help. i got a 320i e36 as my first car, automatic (lol) and its sat for a while due to parents being.. well, parents. so i finally got a battery for it after a year and a bit (dont ask) and i started it up. at which point i noticed its idle is strangely high. its only high when its in neutral and park. when i put it in drive its at the normal idle. im thinking maybe its an idle control valve problem? or a vaccuum leak? is this a costly fix? or would it be covered in an ordinary tune-up.

heres a video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3yy14igFLw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3yy14igFLw[/ame]
    FUEL INJECTED SUICIDE MACHINE

you might want to try bimmerforums and bimmerfest, they might be more help over there. But your idle should be at around 6-700, so yeah, even at the low it was a bit high. You can always try spraying starting fluid on the hoses, see if it effects anything and if it does you will be able to find the leak and fix that. But I am no pro and think that you might have another problem on your hands.

Comment

First off your battery light shouldn't be on when the engine is running, that may indicate an alternator fault. Second, it sounds like the pcv valve diagragm has a split in it. Remove the oil filler cap an if there is excessive amounts of suction then that is the fault but i'm not 100% on location of the valve on the 320i.
      Originally posted by MommysLittleMonster
      Internet high five for you.

Comment

Check your alternator (like nellydragracer said), your compressor governor , throttle body and the connection from the air intake to the engine.
        Originally posted by Oxer
        I dont know why, but I love your car.. Its OEM cleanness makes me happy in the genitals.

Comment

Working...
        X