Merc 190 pending stance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merc 190 pending stance...

I'm bored so I thought I'd make a thread for you to see how I'm struggling.

Got a 190 a while ago, think I made a thread with pictures from the ebay ad at the time when I was all excited. Finished uni and got back home about a week and a half ago and started fiddling with it.

First I just did a few small things to tidy it up like re-aligning the bumpers and repairing a rust hole in the boot. Drove it for a bit and enjoyed that, it drives like a unit. Bit slow but it handles well.

I had also bought some 16x8 remotecs (type A? i think) a few weeks back on a whim while at uni and a little drunk LOL. Anyway, these were/are in need of a lot of work so I started sanding them back to try and get rid of the pitting and curb scuffs using the totally not dangerous way of jacking up the back of the car and letting the engine spin it in 2nd or 3rd gear (srs why are people so scared of doing this, I read sooo many comments on forums saying 'oh sure, if you want to lose your hand, do it like that' you'd have to be a total am to hurt yourself doing it).
    I've done one up to p400 grit and it looks alright but there is still some pitting left and some imperfections from the casting so I was thinking about leaving it like that as the brushed look kinda hides the bad bits. I started on the second wheel earlier, it was probs the worst out of the lot. A lot of curbing and DEEP pitting. I filed and sanded for like a hour in 3rd gear and there is still soo much left. This has got me considering paint. I would prefer nice shiny alu but I'm not sure if I'm cut out for looking after shiny bare aluminium (i'm very lazy) but I also don't want to lose the sweet painted windows they have

Here's some pics of the car and the wheels

Just trying out the wheels

Wheels:
    The one I've sanded to p400

Still some pitting

Before starting on the second wheel

After filing and sanding with p40

Close up, still a boat load of pitting

don't really know how much to sand down, I've already had to round the lip cos of the curbing and i'm worried if i go far enough to get rid of all the pitting i'll lose all the definition to the shape.

Stance has to wait for a couple of weeks. My MoT is due at the start of Aug so I'll get an mot 4 weeks before then. Don't want to lower before the mot just incase it fails and needs money to fix or fails badly enough to warrant getting rid of it. Kind of tempted to chop the springs for now but I don't know how the mot people will react to that.

Anyway, enjoy laughing at my pits. I guess i deserved it, trying to be cool, getting old school ghetto ass mesh. fml

Gonna look so sick once it's on the floor.
    But hold out for coilies, don't cut the springs cos the MOT guys will flip.
    Also, a nice good condition 190 like that deserves a bit of love.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one...

Comment

Welcome man, you gonna come along to the meet this weekend? If so can you pick up a set of wheels for me in Gloucester? lol

Yeah like stampers said don't cut your springs before the MOT or you'll fail for uncaptive springs. Get MOT then do things as you'll have a year to suss it out then With the wheels just keep sanding and make sure you keep the paper flat on the angles so you don't loose the definition of the bends, lip etc. They'll come up stunning just keep at it. Here's a thread with a few tips aswell.

If it has to do with wheels, tires or brakes it goes here. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Looks like a mint 190. Will look amazing when it's finished. Just put the cut in the spring cups for the mot.
        Last edited by Turn; 06-23-2011, 05:23 AM.

Comment

Yeah but if they jack the car up like they usually do the spring will be loose, if your guy doesnt though I want

Comment

It should be fine as long as too much isnt cut off. I've taken two and a half coils off with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Stampers View Post
              Gonna look so sick once it's on the floor.
              But hold out for coilies, don't cut the springs cos the MOT guys will flip.
              Also, a nice good condition 190 like that deserves a bit of love.

I'll be keeping my eye on this one...
              Thanks. No coilovers available for 190s best there is are the H&R cup kit which does a 60/40mm drop and FK do a similar kit which does 70/40mm. Thinner spring seats are also available which add about another 15mm drop i believe.
              here's an example of one on the H&R with the 8mm spring seats

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
              Welcome man, you gonna come along to the meet this weekend? If so can you pick up a set of wheels for me in Gloucester? lol

Yeah like stampers said don't cut your springs before the MOT or you'll fail for uncaptive springs. Get MOT then do things as you'll have a year to suss it out then With the wheels just keep sanding and make sure you keep the paper flat on the angles so you don't loose the definition of the bends, lip etc. They'll come up stunning just keep at it. Here's a thread with a few tips aswell.

http://stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806
              Cheers, don't think I will be coming to the meet soz, lol.
              With the sanding I might cut myself some bits of wood to the right size to try and get better edges.
              Thanks for the link, I actually read that through before starting along with about 5 guides/threads.

Originally posted by Turn View Post
              Looks like a mint 190. Will look amazing when it's finished. Just put the cut in the spring cups for the mot.
              Lol, yeah it looks good from a distance but when you get up close there are quite a few problems. main one being I think it has had some sort of impact on the n/s front quarter. The 'fender' looks like it might have been replaced with a pattern part as it doesn't fit quite right. Also the door sits a little low on the hinge. Other than that and a few small bit of rust on the panels which I'll sort out when I get some paint and the rust underneath its alright.

I'm gunna wait for the drop till after the mot. I should be concentrating on finding a job anyway
              Anyone know of any jobs for someone with a degree in architecture who doesn't want to be an Architect?

Comment

Yeh you can get lower spring cups and springs but you'll still probably need to cut them to get it sitting low. That's the problem with mercs you can't get coilovers because of the suspension setup. Mines the same. You can get a type of coil over but they are basically spring compressors and don't look very good.

Comment

I was thinking, get the FK 70/40mm set then get the thinner seats and maybe do a bit of cutting at the back

Comment

my mate has a black on of these, propper maffia car

also have a look at this months Retro Cars mag, theres a 190 on the cover, Was the white one from Modded Natts, soo boss.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyBoi View Post
                      my mate has a black on of these, propper maffia car

also have a look at this months Retro Cars mag, theres a 190 on the cover, Was the white one from Modded Natts, soo boss.
                      Yeah, not seen it yet but he's on a 190 forum I'm on. Think he's on cut springs aswell, and he's knows that guy with that insanely nice brown 190. If i saw both those drive past at the same time I think I would literally blow up.

anyway, got a lot done today, lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jack25 View Post
                        Yeah, not seen it yet but he's on a 190 forum I'm on. Think he's on cut springs aswell, and he's knows that guy with that insanely nice brown 190. If i saw both those drive past at the same time I think I would literally blow up.
                        i think i would too aha

Comment

the wheels really suit it! looking gud dude

Comment

that interior is like, god-status here in the states.
                            Balls Deep Squad.

Comment

Originally posted by w201e34 View Post
                              that interior is like, god-status here in the states.
                              Really? did you not get this one then?

I like it, just wish the drivers seat was in better condition. Might try and replace it or get it repaired in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X