Dumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumped

No, nothing’s slammed to the ground today. We’re talking about actual dumping.

Minds out of the gutters, people. We’re talking about a wastegate dump tube. For those not in the know, the wastegate is what controls the pressure of the air going through the turbocharger. When boost hits a certain level, the wastegate opens to allow the excess pressure to vent out. Sometimes, they’re recirculated into the exhaust system to prevent excessive noise and the subsequent roadside visits from Johnny Law. Othertimes, the dump tube (the tube that runs off the wastegate) can be vented directly into the atmosphere. The noise from this route is definitely louder than recirculating it, but it makes for an impressive sound if you’re not expecting it. And not many people will be expecting it from a seemingly NA 318i. Tom’s been working on this one today, and it’s coming out great.

All you need to start is some stainless steel tubing…

…And a wastegate…

…And then a little welding magic will create this:

Featuring — as always — welds that will make the masses weep in awe.

All in all, the 318 build is hauling along. Tuning should commence within a week or so!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

this 318 looks like its getting some killer work done

also, when I clicked on the thread I thought its title was "moped". I couldnt even imagine what kind of crazy work was being done lol
    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Wow! that looks like top notch work!!!! I will be contacing you guys soon! Snail + e46 = win

///M3 drivers have no friends! -Jeremy Clarkson....

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
        this 318 looks like its getting some killer work done
        Yeah...

This 318's been here for three years. Kind of a "tend to it when you can" project that finally became a "now I've got the cash, let's finish this" sort of thing. The shop that had it before us built and arranged almost everything, then he came to us for a Haltech install. It took us most of that time figuring out how to get it to start, as the combination of coilpacks and this Haltech was being a massive PITA.

But now we're going about fixing everything that the other shop fucked up. I try not to mention this part in the blog, as it's pretty classless to shit-talk other places. But they didn't do a good job; mounted the turbo so low that it couldnt drain oil, made the wastegate dump tube like 12 feet long, and did the single-handed worst MIG exhaust job I've ever seen.

But enough of that, lest I get into trouble.

Originally posted by Topazkd View Post
        Wow! that looks like top notch work!!!! I will be contacing you guys soon! Snail + e46 = win
        'Tis!

www.fluidmotorunion.com
        www.stanceworks.com

Comment

I hear the same thing about Haltech from a lot of people. Especially from back when I was building an RX7

Comment

I hear the same thing about Haltech from a lot of people. Especially from back when I was building an RX7
            Yeah, and OJ's done, like, the highest level of Haltech training you can do, and even then, still a frustrating thing.

At least now I know the most intense engine management happening to my Si will be a Hondata. A different ECU or piggyback system looks like a nightmare's worth of work. So many wires.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
            www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
              Yeah, and OJ's done, like, the highest level of Haltech training you can do, and even then, still a frustrating thing.

At least now I know the most intense engine management happening to my Si will be a Hondata. A different ECU or piggyback system looks like a nightmare's worth of work. So many wires.
              I have a friend in FL thats a master programmer (or some shit) with both Crome and Neptune. he seems to really like them over Hondata

Comment

I have a friend in FL thats a master programmer (or some shit) with both Crome and Neptune. he seems to really like them over Hondata
                Hmmmm...

I was just going to go with the Flashpro, as it seems like the de facto standard for 8th Gen Civic tuning across the entire internet. Although it's not like I'd be doing my tuning myself (but now that I only work one job, I guess I could spend weekends researching...)

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                www.stanceworks.com

Comment

I'm confused as to where this is going on the car, that looks like a piece of exhaust from a downpipe/midsection...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    I'm confused as to where this is going on the car, that looks like a piece of exhaust from a downpipe/midsection...
                    its an atmospheric dump

Comment

its an atmospheric dump
                      I understand that, but where is the wastegate being placed (distance-wise) in regards to the turbo/manifold?

Comment

I understand that, but where is the wastegate being placed (distance-wise) in regards to the turbo/manifold?
                        here is a pic of some random turbo manifold. one flange is for the turbo and one for the wastegate

Comment

This thread makes me have to poop...
                          cars and stuff

Comment

dumping into downpipe looses 5-10whp doesnt it?

Comment

Our placement is very similar to the one that Dave outlined. I can get more in-depth pictures to show the location if you want.

Originally posted by skrapez View Post
                              This thread makes me have to poop...
                              Good. Then I've done my job.

Originally posted by Masonbarnard View Post
                              dumping into downpipe looses 5-10whp doesnt it?
                              Yeah, but sound at the expense of a negligible amount of power is a worthy trade-off.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                              www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Working...
                              X