Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Surface scratch on sleeve over strut bag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surface scratch on sleeve over strut bag.

What's up guys...

Got a surface scratch on one of my easy street front struts. I was told it still holds air. The gouge looks worst than what it really is in the pic actually. It looks like it scuffed through one layer. I'd imagine that there are multiple layers w/these bags just like the bellow type bags. Any suggestions? What's the best way to use the air line fitting to make sure it hold air before installation?

-Replace it
    -Leave it be and just ride it out, it happens
    -Throw a little piece of duct tape or something just to protect it
    -Put some type of silicon/sealant to it.
    -Use a "fix-a-flat" style patch

The good thing about that last one is I work on aircraft. I have access to a plethora of aircraft grade sealant/silicon/tapes etc aka if I'll put it on a cargo aircraft to fly a mission down range, I think it'd due on my little bag.

I'm curious on how many layers it has as when it comes to changing aircraft tires, they are good until you can see a certain amount of chord/layers showing in which they STILL hold air but we just change them out. It looks like it just scratched through the "cosmetic" layer they put on the bags for protecting the cords and visual appeal.

Any suggestions...

Last edited by Dom_J; 06-02-2011, 09:21 PM.
    E90 LCI 328xi / Autosupreme Coutures / Mission:Conquer Slamming AWD BMW #vipe90

"Chasin' the dream, never the competition..." #@lifestyle "Chromed out bimmers & Gold Alpinas......." -Dom Kennedy

"A supercar doesn't need to be incredibly wide and have enormous wheels. It must have height, stance and length. It must be as low as possible and reasonably short in length, but it still must be substantial and have an unmistakable attack in its stance."

StanceWorks....for supercars as well.

air it up and see what it looks like.

Comment

I just came back from airing it up, I used a high pressure hose and squeeze whatever fitting I could get to air it up a little while not messing up fitting and then sprayed soapy water over it. I don't know how much pressure I was putting to it.

It definitely is leaking a TINY TINY amount of air as I got a little bit of bubble action going on, indicating it is a leak, very minimal but then again I didn't put the weight of a car on it. At this point, there is really nothing to lose so I'm down for some experimenting.

A new sleeve is $210 from air lift company.

Any suggestions? I'm going to go ahead and order a new sleeve anyway.
      Last edited by Dom_J; 06-03-2011, 03:39 PM.

"Chasin' the dream, never the competition..." #@lifestyle "Chromed out bimmers & Gold Alpinas......." -Dom Kennedy

"A supercar doesn't need to be incredibly wide and have enormous wheels. It must have height, stance and length. It must be as low as possible and reasonably short in length, but it still must be substantial and have an unmistakable attack in its stance."

Comment

for that price just buy a new one and forget about repair I think

Comment

Yea, the guys at AirLift Company are being superb about the handling their product. There going to let me send in both struts for re-resleeving/rebuilding at a great price for being a military member serving overseas.

Its much appreciated, got a customer for life out of me. Glad there was some good to come out of a initially bad situation. The guy who I bought them from is going to refund me some of my cash also as they definitely didn't come in "100% fully working/operational" condition so my pockets won't take too huge of a hit.

My little tupperware terror will sit another couple of week immobile w/no suspension, these air dreams will be complete one day.

Thanks for the input fellas, many thanks to AirLift Company!
          Last edited by Dom_J; 06-04-2011, 09:14 AM.

Comment

cool cool cool

Comment

Glad you got everything figured out. They guys at Air Lift really are great to deal with!

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Definitely. Hopefully I can get some good air management going on next from you guys down there. I only got the neighbors spare parts to work with for now to check everything out.

Comment

Nice man, let me know if I can help you with anything else

- www.bagriders.com - Email us at: sales@bagriders.com -

- Did you find a lower price? We Price Match! -

Comment

Working...
                  X