E36 Coupe Or Sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Coupe Or Sedan?

Im thinking of picking up a E36 for my next project and to build as a dedicated track car. I have decided to do the LS1 swap as for classing purposed in time attack its the best way to make the most power and not get bumped up a class.

My question is are there and benifits to buying a coupe over the sedan? I find a lot more used sedan for cheap in the paper then coupes. Is the shorter wheelbase a benifit on the coupe? or are the wheel bases close to the same? Also any major weight differences? How about after market? I know they offered the M in both the coupe and sedan so I know there is aero for both.

I would love to hear some feedback on this.

From what I understand they weigh close to the exact same

Comment

sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by VALMONT View Post
        sedan.
        Why?

Comment

Let me get my friend to help you out. He's a track guy, I'm sure he'll have some good input.

Comment

Dunno bout an e36, but for e30s the wheelbase is the same, a weight difference of only about 55lbs, and the kicker, the 4 doors are more rigid. I know that is the case with the e36 sedan as well.

Flickr

Comment

E46 sedans are more rigid as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JSanders View Post
                E46 sedans are more rigid as well.
                truth. i have a coupe and drove my sisters sedan, and i liked the handling of the sedan better.

i only got the coupe for the factory colored mouldings and not having that damn B-pillar blocking my view.

Comment

sedans have an extra pillar where the door hinges go in, meaning more rigid and less flexing in the chassis, sedan and coupes on paper weight exactly the same. and plus fo do's fo mo ho's :]

Comment

Originally posted by TRiCC View Post
                    sedans have an extra pillar where the door hinges go in, meaning more rigid and less flexing in the chassis, sedan and coupes on paper weight exactly the same. and plus fo do's fo mo ho's :]
                    Originally posted by Stephen View Post
                    Dunno bout an e36, but for e30s the wheelbase is the same, a weight difference of only about 55lbs, and the kicker, the 4 doors are more rigid. I know that is the case with the e36 sedan as well.
                    the truth!! sedan>coupe unfortunately.

BAR / TheIllu510nEvo<-- check it out

Comment

^^^what he said....4dr>2dr

Comment

Ok thanks guys for all the insight.

What about parts wise? any problems getting parts for the Sedan??? over the Coupe ???

Comment

Also on the E36 and years that are better then others???

Comment

Originally posted by M3This View Post
                            Ok thanks guys for all the insight.

What about parts wise? any problems getting parts for the Sedan??? over the Coupe ???
                            Everything is basically the same on both, except body panels.

Comment

Just get a E36 M3 Sedan. The Sedans feel slightly more rigid than the coupes. Also, the head room is better in the sedan. It makes a huge difference for helmet clearance. Lastly, the sedan is a easier car to service when a cage is in it.

I've had 2 e36 coupes before my sedan. Trust me, the sedan is the better way to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X