Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much $$$ have you guys invested on your air bag system??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much $$$ have you guys invested on your air bag system??

I have an e28 right now and want to know the cost difference between coilovers and air. If done right the first time, how much have you guys spent and was it worth it?

there is no specific cost difference because it all depends on the type of setup and if you fabbed up your own mounts or bought prebuilt assemblies. you can build a setup for the price range of coilovers to 2x thier price.
    Originally posted by Kielan
    I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Rali just PM'd me and told me Air Lift doesn't make any pre-fabbed strut assemblies. Honestly, I am just trying to gauge how affordable a custom air bag system would be for my car rather than spending $1,600 on GC coilovers and regretting it down the road.

Comment

I got over a $1000 in just my fittings and hardlines! Price comparisons wont work for you to really get a budget together...it can vary in the thousands.
        -Eric
        08 VIP Style xB

Comment

I've been looking at coilovers for the E24 (so same as your E28), and decided that I could throw an extra few hundred and be sitting on a decent air install so going down that route. I know no figures there so quite unhelpful but kind of the same position as yourself.

Comment

5,500 in air parts/equipment, that doesn't include the install materials or incidentals.
            I used to be famous.

somewhere between I want it and I got it.

Comment

I have about 4.5k in full accuair e-level gear and installation by a shop also including bags, custom brackets, remote and exo-mount, plus you might need to update your car's charging system (battery/alternator etc)

You can do basic manual air installs for a lot less i'm sure but i have no experience in that

having owned the e-level I would struggle not knowing what height my car was at so manual would seem rather odd to me.

Comment

I have a total of around $4,500 in my setup with no installation charges since I did it myself. $6,000+ if a shop would've done it.
                -Eric
                08 VIP Style xB

Comment

I'm probably on the edge of going into the $2,800 mark with my setup, including all the fittings, welding gas, misc. BS, and materials to build the false floor in the trunk. It all depends on what parts you decide to go with. Did the install myself with the help of a friend of mine,

Comment

Man, and here I was dreaming about an bag setup. Way out of my ballpark.
                    Pictars Here.

Comment

I'm 27 now and only just at the stage where i could spring 4.5k on something like this. very hard to justify that spend but still glad I did it once in my life

Comment

what if you piece a kit together? would it be under 3k?

Comment

Depends on the car but $3,000 should get you everything if you take your time finding the best deals. Keep an eye on s10forums for specials on universal parts like tank, compressor, valves, air line etc.
                          -Eric
                          08 VIP Style xB

Comment

Originally posted by D Unit View Post
                            I have an e28 right now and want to know the cost difference between coilovers and air. If done right the first time, how much have you guys spent and was it worth it?
                            Shoot Drew @ Dorbritz Designs an email. He could give you an idea of what parts you would need and what would need to be done. He's also a site sponsor.

http://www.dorbritzdesigns.com/2011/...-5-series.html

Or PM uvebeenrobd on here. He's the owner of that car. He could also probably give you an idea on parts/labor and pricing.

I hope that helps.

Comment

Oh and as for pricing on setups, mine isn't installed yet, but I can give you an idea on cost.

AirLift XL struts, UA Air House 2 rear bags, D-cups, AVS switch controller, 5 gallon tank, 2x dual needle gauges, 1x tank gauge, dual Viair 400c compressors, Accuair VU4 manifold, airlines, fittings, wiring, etc. after taxes/shipping came out to around $2100-2265.

I say $2100-2265 because there are some good deals you can get on parts if you take your time piecing it together. Bag Riders runs monthly specials which can save you big money. fifteen52 and Open Road Tuning also run some good sales from time to time too. But for all the basic hardware needed for it, that's all mine cost. I'm also paying for the installation and custom paint work and hardlines, but even with that I'm just under $3k.

Comment

Working...
                              X