Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Coilovers - not low enough

As per title.
    Anyone else got AP coilovers? Had any issues with just not being low enough?
    Had mine fitted for a year now, attended the last MK meet and realised it should be lower.
    Spent 3 hours today at work removing the spring adjusters for another 10mm at the back and belt sanding the front hubs lip off to get the shock further through.

I know it might just be my fitment its concerning, just wandered if any other makes of cars had the same problem.

If its not low enough when I put the wheels back on in the morning I think some H and R ultra lows might have to be ordered.

Try and get some pics up of the coilovers on the car so we can see wots going on?
    Last edited by slimadi; 04-28-2011, 01:32 PM.
    Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

youve probably done it already but helpers out?
      L I K E H E L L D E S I G N

Comment

X2 helpers out would see the front come down alot.

Comment

Yeah, helpers were removed before the coilovers were fitted when new.

Removed half of the rear adjuster out of the rear and ground out the lip in the hub to allow the shock to fit further down into it but still leaving clearence for the driveshaft.

Got about 13mm out of the front and about 8-10mm on the back.

Very happy with it now

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

mine go low enough (on a mk3 golf)

not my car (no pics of mine while turned down)
            Last edited by P78; 04-29-2011, 07:07 AM.
            Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Looks sweet could do with spacers up front might just be the angle of the pic tho?
              Live,Breathe,Build,Believe,BMW!

Comment

My mate got his A3 sitting like this on AP's

I think he's on here too, I'll give him a shout and see what he says.

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/omex_uk

Comment

Cheers max ^^^ thats my old car.

When you say helpers were removed what do you mean?

And did you seriously grind off the lip the strut sits in? and just expect the 1 bolt to hold the strut in place?

Comment

mine is sitting alright with ap's looks a little lowwer than yours somehow? i had to get my drop links extended to get them this low.

still gonna machine some bits on the front to get it lowwer

Comment

Yeah yous looks alittle lower. Mine was still on standard droplinks though. i was never happy with how low it was.

Comment

Originally posted by matty View Post
                        And did you seriously grind off the lip the strut sits in? and just expect the 1 bolt to hold the strut in place?
                        Yeah thats what I ground off.
                        You have to open up the hub with a special tool/prybar to get it to move even without the bolt which is huge (18mm and 14mm multispline)
                        I did think what you thought when we first thought about doing it and remembered theres lots of cars out there that dont have lips on them to stop it falling through anyway.

My old car did 15 laps of the ring and 3 years road abuse and was ok

As I said in previous post I am happy with mine now. Running 18" wheels on mine so the 19" Bentleys you guys pictured will sit nicer anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.uk View Post
                          You have to open up the hub with a special tool/prybar to get it to move even without the bolt which is huge (18mm and 14mm multispline)
                          I did think what you thought when we first thought about doing it and remembered theres lots of cars out there that dont have lips on them to stop it falling through anyway.

My old car did 15 laps of the ring and 3 years road abuse and was ok

As I said in previous post I am happy with mine now. Running 18" wheels on mine so the 19" Bentleys you guys pictured will sit nicer anyway.
                          Really? all my coilovers have just slipped in and out without having to pry the hub open

Did you take the tap off the strut too, or is that resting on the bolt?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc.uk View Post

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/omex_uk

Comment

Originally posted by omex_uk View Post
                              ????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X