Yet another cut springs thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another cut springs thread...

I have asked many a people and still get split answers... so I thought I'd bring it to people that know. My wife is attaining a set of 16" style 5's for her 528e and wants some loooow. I have a set of carefully measured and cut springs that I would like to install. Obviously next year I will be setting her down on some Bilstiens and Eibachs or H&R springs. I do not care about shock life (as I know hers are on the way out). I ran these springs on my running 83 parts car and I really enjoyed the way it felt. It didn't do the "Honda bounce".

My question is how much affect will this have on tire life? I was told to either rotate them everytime I do an oil change or buy camber kits to adjust for the lowered stance. But, on the same token, I was told on an e28 that there was no excess tire wear reported.

Thoughts?
    Matt in VA
    1982 BMW 320i US 5 speed Chestnut Red "Jun"
    Adult smut.

if the wheels is cambered, your tires will wear faster than with less camber.

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

/john madden
      Originally posted by M.Burroughs
      I'd have to say this site was founded on building the cars we wanted to build, despite if the rest of the car community liked it or not. This site was founded on freedom of automotive self expression and the passion that goes in to each and every build... This site is about doing what you like, whatever makes you happy, and not caring about what other people think...

Comment

Originally posted by jared1988 View Post
        /john madden
        :

"YOU SEE, HE CUT THE SPRING SO NOW BAM!!! NOW HIS WHEEL IS CAMBERED. *circles camber*

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

put em on and get an alignment?? go from there

#realtalk
          Originally posted by M.Burroughs
          I'd have to say this site was founded on building the cars we wanted to build, despite if the rest of the car community liked it or not. This site was founded on freedom of automotive self expression and the passion that goes in to each and every build... This site is about doing what you like, whatever makes you happy, and not caring about what other people think...

Comment

Lowering a car will only add a couple degrees of camber, not enough to wear your tires like crazy. I drive a pretty low E30 and since there's no rear camber correction I've just had to deal with it.

However, my tires are still nice. I don't burn rubber or drive like a maniac.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBell View Post
              Lowering a car will only add a couple degrees of camber, not enough to wear your tires like crazy. I drive a pretty low E30 and since there's no rear camber correction I've just had to deal with it.

However, my tires are still nice. I don't burn rubber or drive like a maniac.
              As someone said, an alignment is good and all if camber can be adjusted in the rear. Look on mye28.com... there is a way you can modify the rear subframe to accomodate eccentric bolts to adjust camber. It requires cutting and drilling, and you may be able to use the info for your e30.

I just wanted someone with another old BMW with experience [running low without camber adjustments] to inform me how the tire wear is. Some cars roast tires like crazy, other do not.
              Matt in VA
              Adult smut.

Comment

Yeah, but an alignment costs almost as much as lowering springs.

Comment

The rears are non-adjustable, without welding new tabs, or eccentrics into the sub frame. You will have some "camber" wear in the rear, which is really due more to the toe that is added than the camber. Exactly how much wear is dependent on how low you go, but if it is a somewhat modest drop, it really won't be that bad. The fronts you will see little to no increase in wear. The wear is going to be the same as lowering springs at the same height, just ride quality will be different to an actual setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post
                    The rears are non-adjustable, without welding new tabs, or eccentrics into the sub frame. You will have some "camber" wear in the rear, which is really due more to the toe that is added than the camber. Exactly how much wear is dependent on how low you go, but if it is a somewhat modest drop, it really won't be that bad. The fronts you will see little to no increase in wear. The wear is going to be the same as lowering springs at the same height, just ride quality will be different to an actual setup.
                    Correct. So it sounds like as long as I get a toe alignment in front after the drop she should be ok? Toe alignments go for about $70 here so it's not too bad. And anyone familiar with Christof's car (runningpanda)when he first cut his springs will know how low mine will be. I mimicked his cut procedure in terms of coil numbers.
                    Matt in VA
                    Adult smut.

Comment

Just buy shit tyres

Comment

Originally posted by K-Soup View Post
                        Just buy shit tyres

Comment

Originally posted by K-Soup View Post
                          Just buy shit tyres
                          Always worked for me
                          Originally posted by JC.
                          'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

more that a degree of camber either way(positive or negative) will cause tire wear

but that's obvious, you can buy kits that correct any neg. camber gains from lowering
                            -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                            -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                            MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                            Got Drop??

Comment

String align it yourself.
                              Take your time and you'll get close enough where increased wear will be nominal. Learn how to do this well and you'll be thanking yourself if you ever have coils and feel like changing your setup every week.

And just to echo everyone else and fuel the fire...
                              Camber doesn't kill tires, TOE does.
                              Originally posted by AMGwheelwhore
                              Quitters never stance.

Comment

Working...
                              X