Hello (intro)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello (intro)

Hi, My names Jack. I thought I would introduce myself here for now as I currently don't have a car so don't feel qualified for the main section.

Anyway, I've been lurking these forums for ages, over a year now i think, found it around the same time Rusty was unveiled as being rusty.
    I'm currently a student studying in Portsmouth, spend most of the time I'm supposed to be working online on here or playing COD or masturbating (on a side note, watched black swan yesterday ) , you know how it is. Anyway, around xmas '09 I found out that my brother was getting a car for his 21st birthday, naturally i assumed that i would get the same treatment for my 21st and if I didn't i would throw a strop and cry until mummy made daddy buy me a car. luckily there was no need for tears as my dad said yes.
    The hunt was then on for a car. My initial ideas where all based from Forza cos I play that like I play the ladiez . yeah, so, bmw e30 was where i started, through that I got an interest in all old BMWs which is what lead me to rusty and this forum (also Neek's e21 :O) But since then and browsing forums galore and sites like speedhunters etc My tastes have branched out somewhat.
    Anyway, I turned 21 in Jan but wanted to wait till after finishing uni till getting it done. theres only like 2 months left of uni no so i need to start putting things in motion. I want to try and get a car over the easter break but that probs won't happen tbh because I still don't know what to get

So far i've narrowed it down to:
    bmw e21, e30, e36, e12, e28, e34, e24, 2002, 1602... pretty much i like all old bmw
    mercedes w123
    audi a4, 80 avant (this has to be quattro tho)
    toyota MR2 aw11
    mazda mx-5 NA or NB
    volvo 240

not a small list but that should make it easier. So far I've come within a dogs dick hair of a sweet 1602, and a V8 e34. quite glad i didn't end up with the e34 though but I really wanted that 02 . Anyway, been looking on pistonheads and ebay etc. for so long now for these old BMWs that I've seen some of the same cars bought and sold a few times lol.

but year, need to make a list of pros and cons or something cos I keep changing my mind, I'll probably end up just getting which ever one of those comes up first in the right condition and right price.
    Anyone who has some recommendation or insider tips or something for any of these cars then holla at me bro.

I've got a budget for this which i want to definitely include the car and the lows and pref wheels but i might just roll on some steelies for a while till i get fundz fo da rimz.

But yeah, on a more serious note. I've noticed an increase in members on this site especially UK members so thought I would get my game on and get in here cos I'm worried a little bit. I've read similar worries that the growing stance trend is attracting n00bz from Maccy Deez to sites like this and watering down the awesomeness of the cars with sub-par additions. I hope this isn't and doesn't happen. I don't want to seem elitist or anything but the site is amazing as it is because of the level of the cars on here and the nature of the members. I hope that SW|UK continues to represent itself in a comparable way to the US folks and that I can contribute my car in the near future and attend meets etc.

Thankyou goodnight much love.

p.s. here's a pic cos that was just text. It's my Mums skoda yeti p'shopd

very long intro!

IMO go for an E21.

I love them, and they are climbing in monies for sure. especially the 323i's. then again w123's are cool too. blaah

welcome

Comment

Lotz to read...

Comment

Yeah, I love e21s. something about the shape is so perfect, everything is proportioned just right. But as you said they are going up in dollar, I've seen quite a few 316/318 in the right condition/price but i would prefer a 6 pot. Also it costs a fair amount to get them low as well as there are no straight fit coilovers that i know of. Same problem goes for the e12,e28, and e24

Comment

What about an old Merc 190e? They've got that retro style you seem to like but also a 2.6 Cosworth lump in them And if they're done right they look sick!

My Flickr http://www.flickr.com/omex_uk

Comment

dont get an mx5... there soo scene!
            Build Thread:Bagged Integra Type R DC2.

Comment

Loong intro, old BMWs are cool though.

Whereabouts in gloucestershire are you?
              Cheap insurance means no lows. Fail....

Comment

Originally posted by omex_uk View Post
                What about an old Merc 190e? They've got that retro style you seem to like but also a 2.6 Cosworth lump in them And if they're done right they look sick!
                Yeah, looked in to 190s. my dad was trying to persuade me to get one as well but they take a LOT of work to get looking good imo. That one in the pic is the best i've seen but is a mile from standard. Plus the interiors a bit darsh.

Paul, I'm from right on the Herefordshire boarder out past huntley/tibberton way. Do you know May Hill? the one which looks like it has a nipple on top. I live up there.

yeah, mx-5 are so scene, and ghey. but i do love me some hair dressing so thats why I like them

Comment

Whatz your budget? Usually helpz with advice.

Comment

Budg3tz iz £3,000

but i need some of that for insurance cos I need the car to get mobile and find work after uni and I can't get money for insurance if i can't work ugetme. So, yeah, more like £2,500 max

Comment

£500 for insurance, on what will be your first car when you want an old BMW... have you done any quotes yet? Sounds like you are going to struggle a bit to be honest.

Comment

Insurance will be more than your expecting... :/
                        Project NewCoolOldSchool started

Comment

dw, its not the first car I've been insured on. I've been a named driver on a direct line policy for 4 years now so get quite a bit off with their policy, not sure what happens when you add mods with DL though. Also got some quotes for the older stuff from a few classic insurers with likely mods declared and no NCB and seems to be anywhere from £700 to £1,000.

But as i said, I will be looking for a job so may pay it monthly for a bit before getting work so i imagine £500 should cover it for a few months.

Comment

DL won't cover you on mods under 25 I think, and I doubt they'd cover you on any of the cars either. They won't cover me on the E46.

Comment

Yeah, was worried about that with the mods.
                              Based off their online quotes DL will cover me on all of those cars. although they are a little weird. I can apparently get insured on a 325i for between £700 and 800 but insurance on an MR2 only cost about £50 less when its got about 70hp less. Suppose its based on how many claims are dealt with as a result of that car as well.

at the moment I'm leaning towards the older cars because of the issue with insurance and the fact classic insurers seem to be open to mods a lot more readily.

Comment

Working...
                              X