Rusting springs - clean up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusting springs - clean up?

So when I had the wheels off at the weekend I noticed that some of the paint (?) had come off my rear springs and they have got some surface rust. I'm worried about them snapping as BMWs have the common problem of the salt causing OEM springs to rust and snap.

I was going to swap them back for my others and get them treated. What is the best way of doing this, thought about dropping them off at the powder coaters to get done whilst my wheel centres are, but the current finish is more of a plastic than a paint/powder.

get them acid dipped, itll strip off all the old paint, and all the rust.

then you can see if theyre saveable

Comment

Ok cheers, I know they aren't too bad. I only fitted them like 3 months ago and there was no rust on them then. Will take them out this weekend and sand them back a little to see what is going on.

What about finishing them though if they can be saved?

Comment

i dunno about powdercoating. the heating process is known to weaken wheels, so i wouldnt use it on springs, just paint them with a few coats of paint.

Comment

Id say some thick enamel paint will do the trick.

I had the problem of my front knuckles rubbing on the springs when I had the ccw's on and the front camber arms in, and there are several spots where its bare, but Im not worried at all... For a spring to 'snap' it would take years of corrosion.
          Originally posted by anth
          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Yeah, the springs aren't new and I don't know how old they are.

I will take them off this weekend and post some pictures. They must have used a bucket load of salt on the roads this year, everything under the back end is covered in a layer of rusty dirty grime.

Comment

None of that salt business here
              Originally posted by anth
              Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Do you even get snow?

Comment

I have no idea how this will hold up, but I just picked up a set of springs that was badly corroded. I stripped off the surface rust with a wire brush, and then coated them with rubberized undercoating. That stuff sticks to everything, seals it up, and is flexible (what will kill most paint coats on springs).

Time will tell how it holds up!
                  Steve - now in San Diego!

Shoot My Car - Automotive Photography in SoCal

Comment

lol no snow in the majority of Aus. Its awesome.

Comment

Booo

Comment

thats not bad at all. just clean it off and paint it.
                        Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                        he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

I'll get the sandpaper on it tonight, then pop and get some hammerite straight to rust in black.

Comment

you should be able to buy a mild acid from any decent hardware or parts store.

just mix it in a container with water and let the springs sit in it for a couple of days.

then go over them with some 120grit sand paper to get anything left off, then give them a good spray with some rubberised paint

Comment

Thanks, I'll try get it done before the weekend. Rubberised paint important? I guess so otherwise it will crack on the first rebound.

Comment

Working...
                              X