Mercedes Swing Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercedes Swing Axle

Does any one know how lowering a 60's era Mercedes affects the rear end? They have almost the same set up as a swing axle bug and the axle joints in the bugs will go out a lot faster when its lowered. I would think that the Mercedes joints are better quality, so they would last longer, but I'm not so sure.

What it looks like

Comment

holy rust batman! (it's not that bad for our location)

the benz parts axles are better quality, but if they're in crap condition to begin with they won't last very long. you'd best go over all everything with a fine toothed comb before going super low and keep a spare set of everything you need close by and handy. otherwise, i wouldn't hesitate going the same amount of low as the bugs. benz of that era have some seriously heavy duty drive line compared to other makes, so i wouldn't worry all too much.

are you restoring this thing?
      Last edited by Krolik; 03-25-2011, 08:11 PM.

Strictly Pleasure
      Allen
      82 Datsun 280ZX Turbo 5 Spd
      92 Mercedes 300CE Sportline 5 Spd

Comment

Thanks for the information.

I'm working on just getting it on the road and driving for now but I would like to eventually take it back to it former glory. It was stored in a garage for 30 years so its in great shape for being a midwest car all its life only two rust holes that really need to be fixed to drive it.

Comment

Originally posted by Knox View Post
          Thanks for the information.

I'm working on just getting it on the road and driving for now but I would like to eventually take it back to it former glory. It was stored in a garage for 30 years so its in great shape for being a midwest car all its life only two rust holes that really need to be fixed to drive it.
          that's awesome! love restoration projects like these.

can't wait to see any progress you make on it

Strictly Pleasure
          Allen

Comment

Mercedes-Benz addressed the handling issues by producing swing axles with a single-pivot point located under the differential, and thus well below the axle.

Comment

keen to see your progress

Comment

Update: Its still sitting in my garage. Having a little trouble finding the time and the parts to make the clutch and the brakes work correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Knox View Post
                  Update: Its still sitting in my garage. Having a little trouble finding the time and the parts to make the clutch and the brakes work correctly.
                  Have you tried sourcing parts from Benzworld/Peachparts lately? There have been quite a few folks parting these old kraut cans.

More so, what seems to be the problem? The clutch/brakes aren't that much different than any other car - seized or something?
                  Last edited by Krolik; 05-19-2011, 04:56 PM.

Strictly Pleasure
                  Allen

Comment

I have a mate that owned a few 60's era... He had run them with cut springs, no springs and bags but never heard of any axle problems. Was LOW too.

Comment

Originally posted by Anonymoose View Post
                      I have a mate that owned a few 60's era... He had run them with cut springs, no springs and bags but never heard of any axle problems. Was LOW too.
                      any photos you could share?

Comment

dang it's rusty under there... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Krolik View Post
                          Have you tried sourcing parts from Benzworld/Peachparts lately? There have been quite a few folks parting these old kraut cans.

More so, what seems to be the problem? The clutch/brakes aren't that much different than any other car - seized or something?
                          Every part pretty much needed to be rebuilt but its almost there. And you cannot get some of the line nuts at the parts stores near the car so I have to keep running to Madison to pick stuff up. Its almost ready the brakes are done just need to run the clutch lines.
                          Last edited by Knox; 05-25-2011, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Drove it today! And picking up some 944 brakes for it on Tuesday, Those 4 wheel drums suck!

Comment

Nice to see other old benzes on here, I'm just getting started on my '70 280s and it is cool to have D&W's w108 as well as yours to be inspired by. Got any pics of the rest of her? So your buddy was rolling around with no springs in one of his? How was that like?

Comment

Working...
                              X