Airbags over coil springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbags over coil springs?

I have a custom built coilover setup on my olskool Audi 200 and I just finished some new billet upper strut mounts for it. I also got new top hats to help me increase travel. While thinking about V2 of my designs, I also got to thinking about doing a setup where I can have a very small airbag on top (or below) my spring which could be deflated fully with coils spun up for when I want the rates of the springs, and inflated and coils spun down for when I want to "lay it out" (this car doesn't really go all that low even with the extensive mods I've done thus far).

So anyway, I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction for a very low profile bag (would be hoping for maybe 1" compressed) which can sit atop 2.5" ID coil springs. All I want is maybe 3" when they are inflated.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

they actually make kits designed for this. if you have a google, you should come across it

Comment

Do KW sell their gay little lift kit things seperately? Sounds like the right kind of thing for what you want.

Comment

The problem is that you wouldn't be able to roll around with the bag deflated because it would eventually damage itself. Bags aren't meant to be driven on at 0psi for extended amounts of time. Your daily ride height would have to be with the bag inflated.

Thats why cup kits like the KW's are hydraulic systems and not bags.

Comment

Hmm good to know Rally. I'd like to understand why this damages the bag though. I'm sure there is a way to get around that issue even if its not with a conventional airbag.

trism, I did try google actually, and I found nothing because I really don't know what to call this setup...

Comment

damnit it chris stop stealing my thunder!!!!! im looking to get a full bag set up for my 200, o btw i just got salad shooters the 9.5 size ones, what size shit should i run?

Comment

heh, a full bag setup will be sweet, but you are still going to have to cut the strut housings. What size adapters? That depends on the salad shooters' offsets.

Comment

the offset is 32

Comment

Well the thinnest adapters you can probably get readily will be 20mm which would bring you to +12. That MIGHT fit in the back, but they will probably poke a lot. In the front, its definitely not happening. I have 9's that are ET18 and they poke quite a bit in the front. In the back, it is closer to flush though. All you can do is mock them up without adapters and see if 20mm will be too much. The lower you go, the more they will come in.

Comment

Originally posted by pfcrayb View Post
                    damnit it chris stop stealing my thunder!!!!! im looking to get a full bag set up for my 200, o btw i just got salad shooters the 9.5 size ones, what size shit should i run?
                    Youre gonna run the same wheels that was on there? Really?
                    And salad shooters should be ET38 IIRC

Comment

Oh, I totally forgot this was a 10v!

I dunno then, its going to require all the camber you got.

Comment

i thought the 9.5s where a diff offset? and where can i get adapters from? and aslo i really want a few of the T44 die-cuts, ill pm you about it tho, and ty are you going to dubs on defrost?

Comment

Pretty sure they are all 38 but I could be wrong. You can get adaptors anywhere, but why are you running the same wheels that were on it before haha just get something different.

Comment

i got them for free, when i get back from deployment im going to be geting custom rotifourms, buts that not for a year

Comment

Working...
                            X