I **** cv axles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I **** cv axles.

Do you guys go through axles as much as me? Is there something wrong with my fronttrack A4? It loves eating passenger side axles like they are candy. Is it because my pass. side is shorter then the driver's side (talkin' axle length)?

Who else is fwd with axle problems? Please tell me I'm not the only one….

I go through them too, I don't think I'm as low as you either so it seems common. I know a few other people with civics and integras that are slammed and go through cv's too.

My build thread>http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31670

Sparkin CB7

Comment

Well I;m on bags so I can raise it and get no binding but who the H wants to do that!?

I may try raising the motor a tad, I have to get some spacers made though...

Comment

Rwd ftw.

Comment

Originally posted by JSanders View Post
          Rwd ftw.
          So true….I don't think the quattro guys have a lot of problems either.

Comment

That's good to hear! I wouldn't mind owning a quatro some day.

Comment

you mean the joints themselves?

thats because they arent designed to work at such severe angle

Comment

Do your axles have vibration dampers on them? iduno about axles from other cars but the DSS axles have dampers on them to prevent the vibration. iduno about for your car

Comment

I've never heard of vibration dampers. I actually went through 2 axles in 2 days. Literally blew them apart at the inner joint, this was before air, so I had to pull my front bumper off in the middle of a busy road at night to get the thing on a tow truck.

Comment

Damn that sux! 2 days. mines is more like 2 months, but then again fwd is ftl with axles. I'm gonna try this new one with the dampers next week. good luck. maybe you can have a local shop to rebuild. thats what i do. maybe they can make the axle custom to your specification

Comment

I go through them because of fucking awd. My cv boot is directly under my strut. I've gone through 3 of them.

When I was slammed on my face, the inner cv boot was spitting grease like no tomorrow because of the extreme angle.

Comment

Mine make a wonderful grinding and crunching noise, and my driver side one is going to die soon.
                        your idea with rasing the motor is good though. i might do that for mine too!
                        Volkswagen Jetta, MKiii (Daily)
                        BMW 320i, E21 (FOR SALE)

Comment

Originally posted by Chase Otter(: View Post
                          Mine make a wonderful grinding and crunching noise, and my driver side one is going to die soon.
                          your idea with rasing the motor is good though. i might do that for mine too!
                          Dayum! lol my last axle was doing that. the 1st time i broke down on the highway 2 years ago. just a month ago I changed one out and as i pulled it it came out as 2 pieces instead of 1 whole

Comment

You can't just raise the motor on an A4 as you have a front snub mount and all you would suceed in doing is tiling the motor forward, possibly worsening the problem and also taking the transmission and shifter out of alignment. Theres not much room above the transmission to go up. Shiter is direct linkage, not cable so you cant just raise it and be done. The axles are the same length (or they may be off by a few inches, i dont remember now) because the motor is longitudinal. If you're tearing boots so often it may be the axles themselves. Are they OEM, or an aftermarket brand?

On an old set of supposedly Raxles i went through 2 boots in about a year. The previous owner of the transmission had bought them, so when they blew i had to get a new set. Its been about 6 months and they havent torn yet. I can tell you though that the aftermarket axles (except for raxles) are aboslute shit, especially on the B5 platform. Dont waste your time with them. Yea, oem is very expensive and raxles are in the middle, but they will last you A LOT longer and ride much better.
                            Last edited by Tuck&Poke; 03-14-2011, 11:07 AM.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Isn't their a guy in the VW world thate makes Raxles with Lifetime Warranty's?

I go through them too.. My passenger side boot tears the same day I put the new one on, all the grease is gone but hasn't started clicking yet. I'm on axle 3 on the passenger and axle 2 on the driver. The angle of the axle is so bad that they just can't handle the stress.

So I just leave my passenger axle like this, lol.
                              www.derekwheeler.com
                              for all your photography needs!

Comment

Working...
                              X