Suspension Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension Question

Hey guys! I figured this was the best place to put this since its not 'bout coilovers. Is anyone out there stancing with a spring and shock setup, or is pretty much everyone either running struts or modifying to fit struts? The other question I had had was does anyone know where you can shop springs by specifications such as coil diameter and height, not just vehicle specific? I'm not looking to get a custom set of springs, just figured if I can find a car with similar spec springs it will open up options a lil bit.

Thanks!
    Alex
    Last edited by soab; 02-14-2011, 12:46 AM.
    Originally posted by JC.
    'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

That's incredibly vague.

Chances are there are coilovers for your car already and you're making things way more complicated than they need to be.

Lots of people out there use spring/strut setups instead of of full coilovers, if they're content with the specs the setup gets them.

Comment

I've got a 1990 Saab 900. I've been all over every inch of their suspension doing maintenance and repair stuff and am fairly familiar with its setup. It and a Saab 9000 are the only cars I am famaliar with working on. It is a spring and shock (separate) combo, front and back, so no struts anywhere. I have a feeling it is going to be way more difficult to modify the car to accept struts than it would be to find a car with similar sized springs and a larger aftermarket, that way I could get stiffer shorter springs than trimming a coil off of the Intrax (one of very few lowering springs available for a classic 900, and still not being happy with its stance.

EDIT: my fault, I didn't realized I had typed spring/strut in my first post. Ment spring/shock setup.
      Last edited by soab; 02-14-2011, 12:48 AM.
      Originally posted by JC.
      'Stance' doesn't have to be scraping your car along the floor, that is simply the scene that has caught on. As long as your car looks amazing (in your eyes) while your rolling down the street, that is your own personal perfect stance.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Good place to start. I haven't delved into the numbers, but this might help.

Comment

Thanks! Sent an email to the swift springs company! On of the other things I was curious about is if anybody has experience with locking pring seats (for lack of proper name) I have seen people put round metal plates or flat metal bars with a bolt going to another bar or plate under where the seat sits with a bolt that tightens down and keeps the spring from moving or coming unseated. Has anybody done this or know anythin bout it?

EDIT: Coil spring retainers are the name and this is the article where I got the idea.
          Last edited by soab; 02-16-2011, 01:40 AM.
          Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Another more prudent question. Do any of y'all know any other companies out there like Afco that sell springs by the size/spring rate?
            Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Originally posted by soab View Post
              Thanks! Sent an email to the swift springs company! On of the other things I was curious about is if anybody has experience with locking pring seats (for lack of proper name) I have seen people put round metal plates or flat metal bars with a bolt going to another bar or plate under where the seat sits with a bolt that tightens down and keeps the spring from moving or coming unseated. Has anybody done this or know anythin bout it?

EDIT: Coil spring retainers are the name and this is the article where I got the idea.
              http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspensio...retainer-1.htm
              The only reason to retain a coil spring I've seen is for vehicles in which the suspension comes completely unloaded such as trucks with lifted suspension, generally with cars the shock is slightly shorter fully extended than the spring hence retaining the spring naturally (not that the weight of the vehicle doesn't do plenty of retaining itself.

http://www.abbottracing.net/

http://shop.speedparts.se/sv/

H&R also has extensive saab applications in their european catalog, but you'll usually have to find a US distributer willing to go out of their way call the warehouse in Germany to get older european model parts if they aren't in stock here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerteck View Post
                The only reason to retain a coil spring I've seen is for vehicles in which the suspension comes completely unloaded such as trucks with lifted suspension, generally with cars the shock is slightly shorter fully extended than the spring hence retaining the spring naturally (not that the weight of the vehicle doesn't do plenty of retaining itself.

http://www.abbottracing.net/

http://shop.speedparts.se/sv/

H&R also has extensive saab applications in their european catalog, but you'll usually have to find a US distributer willing to go out of their way call the warehouse in Germany to get older european model parts if they aren't in stock here.
                Appreciate the answer! I know about Abbot and Speedparts in sweeden, but im looking for more universal spring vendor like Afco. I know a guy made a set of adjustable springs for the 900 and some people have made their own but the basis was always the 5.5 x 9.5 inch springs (500 and 650 rate I think) but Ive seen how low those cars go and I dont think its gonna slam the car. I know there is a lot more to stance than slamming a car but at this point I think the Saab community needs more innovation so I want to atleast see what I can do. So if anybody knows about any other spring vendors such as afco that sell springs by spec, not by application Id greatly appreciate it!
                Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Hi I recognize this sn That's the really tricky thing about our cars is the severe lack of this kind of aftermarket. Good for you for delving into something new with the old Swedes. Cheers!
                  -1997 Saab 9000cse Anniversary Edition - Bagged & Tuned
                  -1990 Saab 900 SPG - Holset & Track built
                  -1973 Mercedes-Benz 280 - Summer cruiser / mild resto project
                  -1972 MGB Roadster-Sold!

Comment

Thanks man! I recognized your signature! I figured I would do the leg work other places and come to the saab forums with plans and results to deflect some of the flaming :P
                    Originally posted by JC.

Comment

Working...
                    X