Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So what's the big deal with shocks anyways?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what's the big deal with shocks anyways?

I am researching on how to bag my Mercedes, I have got most of it down.
    Slam specialties RE-5 bags front
    Slam specialties RE-6 bags rear
    Vair*480c*
    5 gallon tank *
    air dryer
    manual finger valves
    single needle viar gauge for tank pressure
    two needle viar gauges for bag pressures
    110/145psi switches
    Manifold

Obviously, I'm going to be running a manual system. Now the only question that has came to mind is how to run my bags since my schocks and springs share the same space? Should I relocate my shocks? Or should I just not run them?

It's a 72 220D btw *

look into getting some air struts like this

Comment

as far as i know a Mercedes has a spring over shock style suspension witch means you have to run shocks. but it could be diffrent. i know with some torsion bar, and doubble a arm set ups with the front of mini trucks they will run no shocks. im sure there is techional terms for these set ups but i dont know them. but any mini truck ive bin in with no shocks in the front they ride really bouncy.
      doing it for the internet and the scene kids.

Comment

ill ask my buddy, he bagged his 02
        Originally posted by Jesus Christ
        he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

If your car has struts, use strut bags like Hartgeh27 posted.

Comment

Well I asked Randy from vw vortex, he bagged his Mercedes ( just like mine) and he just relocated the shocks. My question was how important is it to run a shock. Which from the looks of it is mandatory for my future setup.

Comment

Originally posted by L.Argota View Post
              . My question was how important is it to run a shock. .
              Come, on, really?

The shock absorber's duty is to absorb or dissipate energy. One design consideration, when designing or choosing a shock absorber, is where that energy will go. In most dashpots, energy is converted to heat inside the viscous fluid. In hydraulic cylinders, the hydraulic fluid heats up, while in air cylinders, the hot air is usually exhausted to the atmosphere. In other types of dashpots, such as electromagnetic types, the dissipated energy can be stored and used later. In general terms, shock absorbers help cushion vehicles on uneven roads.

In a vehicle, shock absorbers reduce the effect of traveling over rough ground, leading to improved ride quality and increase in comfort. While shock absorbers serve the purpose of limiting excessive suspension movement, their intended sole purpose is to dampen spring oscillations. Shock absorbers use valving of oil and gasses to absorb excess energy from the springs. Spring rates are chosen by the manufacturer based on the weight of the vehicle, loaded and unloaded. Some people use shocks to modify spring rates but this is not the correct use. Along with hysteresis in the tire itself, they dampen the energy stored in the motion of the unsprung weight up and down. Effective wheel bounce damping may require tuning shocks to an optimal resistance.
              if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
              Originally posted by Jedidiah
              he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Wikipedia? Really?

Comment

Do some of your own research... Learning how things work > depending on random people on the internet for knowledge.
                  - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

So you are saying your just going to take 4 bags and install them on your car without struts? Am I understanding that correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by L.Argota View Post
                      Wikipedia? Really?
                      Yes, really. If you'd thought of that maybe you wouldn't have had to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
                        Yes, really. If you'd thought of that maybe you wouldn't have had to ask.
                        If wikipedia can tell you why someone would need struts/shocks in their car, then yeah, that's why I linked it. Seriously, you're asking if your car NEEDS shock absorbers? What does the name literally translate to? Shock absorbers?
                        if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.

Comment

Relocate your shocks dude. If you've been in old deltas and cadi's you now the boat felling their ride has.

Imagine having a air spring that stiffens as it compresses. Imagine not having a way to stop that. More than likely you will bounce around worse than a hydro car and be very unsafe about it. Your steering and braking characteristics will change considerably also. Meaning any imperfection in the road could hurt you and your ride, along with everything around you. Just relocate them. Go to suicide doors or gauge online magazine and grab up a couple relocation kits. You can even run the shocks that they sell. Any kind of damping is good on a progressive rate spring.

Mini truckers don't run fronts all the time as they are to lazy to relocate them. I didn't run them for years. Then I saw the light.
                          Jesse Jenson
                          Air Lift Company
                          West Coast Sales Manager
                          jjenson@airliftcompany.com
                          www.airliftcompany.com

Comment

Sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse@AirLift View Post
                              Relocate your shocks dude. If you've been in old deltas and cadi's you now the boat felling their ride has.

Imagine having a air spring that stiffens as it compresses. Imagine not having a way to stop that. More than likely you will bounce around worse than a hydro car and be very unsafe about it. Your steering and braking characteristics will change considerably also. Meaning any imperfection in the road could hurt you and your ride, along with everything around you. Just relocate them. Go to suicide doors or gauge online magazine and grab up a couple relocation kits. You can even run the shocks that they sell. Any kind of damping is good on a progressive rate spring.

Mini truckers don't run fronts all the time as they are to lazy to relocate them. I didn't run them for years. Then I saw the light.
                              Thank you for the information. Unlike everyone else you actually helped me, the reason for which I asked is because i heard about a people who didn't run shocks on their set up. My original plan was to relocate them like you said, but laziness lol

Comment

Working...
                              X