E30 Coilover options for budget ballin'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E30 Coilover options for budget ballin'

Whats up homies-Im getting a 86 325 4-door and plan on keeping it stock as possible with the exception of drop, stretch, and poke. Any recommendations for an affordable coilover set-up? Anybody got any for sale?

Define budget.. THe tried and true is just do Ground Control. However, ebay perches and some used 2.5ID springs gets you there fairly cheap, along with some g60 billy sports.

Flickr

Comment

I believe that GC has a conversion kit (perches and springs) for the e30 for about $430...which is what you would spend on a set of lowering springs.

So...if you want adjustability. May be a little more than ebay perches...but...probably better quality.

jason

Comment

Originally posted by tabasco View Post
        I believe that GC has a conversion kit (perches and springs) for the e30 for about $430...which is what you would spend on a set of lowering springs.

So...if you want adjustability. May be a little more than ebay perches...but...probably better quality.

jason
        I presume this is what you are talking about.
        Ground Control Suspension Systems aftermarket suspension solutions for your BMW E30. Whether you are building a street car to drive to work and back, or a race car to hurt feelings on the weekends, we have the parts you need to get your car set up right.

Has anybody here tried these? I'm definitely interested in ordering the kit, as I'm on somewhat of a tight budget and these seem like the best route for someone in my situation. Recommended spring rates/shock setup anyone?
        Originally posted by da3bous
        I want you to photoshop a giant penis down the side of my car

Comment

If you want to ball on a budget, you can pick up some cheap coilovers sleeves on eBay then use eibach ERS springs to get the spring length and LBS you want. I spent about 220 doing this on my previous Miata.

Comment

I had the GC conversion kit on my old e30.

Comment

Originally posted by M.Burroughs View Post
              I had the GC conversion kit on my old e30.
              How was it?

Comment

i think vmaxx makes an e30 setup. like 600, i had them before my air setup on my GTI and for the money i thought they were great
                gengstout.com
                DSDAF10

Comment

I have GC and Koni. But I don't have re welded strut housing or shortened shocks.

So if you go real low with out shortened (g60) shocks you'll lose travel (like I am) and without really short springs (I have 6 inch front, Idon't believe the back can be changed since it's a trailing arm setup) you won't get very low without welding the perch lower.

I'd ask stephen as he's been doing a lot of research on a cheap AND effective setup.

I'm looking into g60 koni's and rewelding the strut tubes to get lower. I'm not low enough.

Hopefully that made some sense.

Comment

^ To anyone with comprehension of e30 suspensions, it made sense.

Comment

There's no really cheap way to do an e30 really low for cheap. If you don't want a bouncing hood ride you need a shock that can handle how low you are, and how stiff your springs are.

A 6 inch spring with a "perch" welded about 6 inches down from the strut tube end will get you low enough up front. 4 inch springs will be required out back if you want a stiff spring rate. The softer your rate, the longer the spring can be as it will compress more. I'll be opting for something along the lines of 1000-1200lb 4 inch springs out back.

Now for shocks, you can either use g60 shocks (which I don't know much about) or 325ix shocks. They are quite a bit shorter, this will require you to section your strut tube accordingly and add a spacer in the bottom of your strut to keep the shock tight.

This is my understanding of what needs to be done. If anyone disagree's feel free to say it and explain why, i'd also like to know of more options.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post
                        There's no really cheap way to do an e30 really low for cheap. If you don't want a bouncing hood ride you need a shock that can handle how low you are, and how stiff your springs are.

A 6 inch spring with a "perch" welded about 6 inches down from the strut tube end will get you low enough up front. 4 inch springs will be required out back if you want a stiff spring rate. The softer your rate, the longer the spring can be as it will compress more. I'll be opting for something along the lines of 1000-1200lb 4 inch springs out back.

Now for shocks, you can either use g60 shocks (which I don't know much about) or 325ix shocks. They are quite a bit shorter, this will require you to section your strut tube accordingly and add a spacer in the bottom of your strut to keep the shock tight.

This is my understanding of what needs to be done. If anyone disagree's feel free to say it and explain why, i'd also like to know of more options.
                        Damn, lots of good info, thanks! Kinda off topic, but would a 15x8 wheel with an offset of 0 fit without trouble on an E30?

Comment

With a 195/50 tire and possibly a little bit of fender rolling yes, very dependent on how low you are.

Lots of people have done this. I've seen 9" wide with et 0 fit with some rolling. I currently have a 15x9 et 8 up front with zero problems. Running a 195/50 on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchy View Post

Couple questions.

I didn't realize the rear spring could be swapped because it isn't a true coil over setup. It's the football shaped spring. Does GC have shorter versions?

And I had never heard about using a 325ix strut. I know that GC uses the g60 strut. Are you running a 325ix?

Thanks.

Comment

K so what ive gathered, best way to go real low is:

Ebay perches, G60 billy sports (make sure to get the right part call GC or bilstien)

Rewelded and shortened housings. You could do no adjuster in the rear.. but naturally no adjustment.

That shouldnt cost too much and the shock travel should be adequate. In the rear, if ou need more, Gc sells a rear shock mount that lets the shock go another inch or to higher, reducing droop on a lift and increasing shock travel.

Thats the routhe i will most likely be going this summer.

Hope that helps.

Flickr

Comment

Working...
                              X