Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All That Glitters Is Not Gold

But in this case, it is.

Wrapping engine parts in gold is not just for aesthetic purposes. It also works wonders in decreasing heat soak between different parts of the engine. For example, the McLaren F1’s engine bay is almost entirely lined with the stuff. And if it works for McLaren, well, it should work for everybody.

In that vein, we decided that our project Genesis Coupe could benefit from some bling (and also from reduced heat soak). In order to keep the engine bay’s heat from affecting the air circulating through the intercooler, Tom spent a good part of last night and this morning wrapping the Genesis’ charge pipes with the gold foil wrap. Not content with just the charge pipes, he then went on to wrap the intake’s airbox in the stuff as well, keeping that fresh air nice and heat-free.

And since we love the show as much as we love the go around here, Tom focused his lucrative wrap career on the spark plug cover, giving the rear part of the engine bay a little shiny goodness.

We think it turned out great. And we didn’t even let him have an X-acto knife. All he needed was a razor blade and some good old-fashioned time. We couldn’t have asked for better results from Tom’s arts-and-crafts day.

I could make wrap/rap jokes all day about this shit, but I'll stop here for everybody's benefit.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

What's the cost on the gold heat shielding.... Say, in comparison to normal heat wrap?
    SLAMMED GARAGE
    slammedgarage@hotmail.com

Comment

Gold wrap is designed to keep heat out of things by reflecting it, rather than keeping heat in things. Gold is actually a crappy insulator, worse than aluminum.

If I'm not mistaken, the use of gold lining in carbon fibre bodied cars is to protect the composites from heat. Note how the engine cover is lined in the McLaren, not the exhaust.

Edit: and somehow I completely ignored the fact that you were wrapping the cold pipes and airbox in it, not heat generating components. Carry on then.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM.

Comment

^lol.... I was bout to say.
        SLAMMED GARAGE
        slammedgarage@hotmail.com

Comment

yeah but it still reflects the heat coming at the charge pipes. just not doing a good job keeping the cold air in

looks sick.
          -Instagram@jdjurhuus
          Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

looks dope as fuck! and the function seems to be there as well. +1

i would too like to know the cost

Comment

i have a sheet or two of the stuff, and it's not that expensive -- less than $100 for the amount that i have, and it's a pretty good amount

Comment

Originally posted by kartikeya View Post
                Gold wrap is designed to keep heat out of things by reflecting it, rather than keeping heat in things. Gold is actually a crappy insulator, worse than aluminum.

If I'm not mistaken, the use of gold lining in carbon fibre bodied cars is to protect the composites from heat. Note how the engine cover is lined in the McLaren, not the exhaust.

Edit: and somehow I completely ignored the fact that you were wrapping the cold pipes and airbox in it, not heat generating components. Carry on then.
                Originally posted by anth
                Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Working...
                X