School Me On Fender Rolling...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School Me On Fender Rolling...

SO, I've been reading, talking to people, etc. about getting my fenders rolled, which I've needed to do for some time now. I know I can tuck a 205/40 on stock fenders, but I really thing 215's and a roll come out much nicer.

BACKGROUND:

1995 M3, Tein Coils, Azev Type-A 17x8.5 ET13 (same as Digitalwave, but squared at offset).

What I know (or think I know...) along with some questions:

1. I am not a body tech and E36 fenders are apparently more temperamental than others. I need to stay myself away from heat guns because they can get butchered fast. I love my car, so I'll be having them done professionally. I like getting my hands dirty, but testing my auto body skills on a 15 year old sports car isn't a good call.

How aggressive of a roll will I need to tuck a 215/40 on a 17 ET13 out back?

3. How aggressive of a roll will I need to tuck a 215/40 on a 17 ET13 up front?

4. What's a reasonable price? I got quoted by a tech (highly recommended in KC) for $50 per corner ---> $200 total, which seemed okay to me, but what do I know? Are there any other Midwesterners who would like to speak up?

What else should I know about this process? What other questions should I be asking? Tips, ideas, pointers?

Alright guys, drop some knowledge on me!

i just rolled mine with a baseball bat and a heat gun. they came out perfect except for one little area cause i was an idiot with the jack. i basically pulled the flat part of the fender out flush with the arch in the rears and slightly pulled the fronts. need to go and match the passenger side front to the driver side. its just a little bit less pulled and it rubs. but anyways its not hard at all. just think it through. make sure you have 2 people for it and use heat gun or you WILL crack your paint.

i have the same wheel specs as you BTW

Comment

So wait..do you want to roll or pull your fenders? There's a difference.

If you want to roll your fenders then rolled up and flat against the fender is best thing since only partly rolling fenders is pointless.
      ShakotanOscar.blogspot.com
      Fabulous Street Scene

Comment

50 per arch is a standard price. I dont know what else to answer since your not doing it yourself anyway. Its not difficult, especially with an eastwood roller, but it does take some patience and care, and be prepared to crack the paint, especially on a 15yr old car.

ig: @jonnie86

Comment

Originally posted by Tuck&Poke View Post
          50 per arch is a standard price. I dont know what else to answer since your not doing it yourself anyway. Its not difficult, especially with an eastwood roller, but it does take some patience and care, and be prepared to crack the paint, especially on a 15yr old car.
          Yeah, that's what I'm apprehensive about. It just seems like if I'm going to crack the paint (which will cost me $25 a corner to patch anyways) why wouldn't I just pay the extra $25 per arch ($50 total) to have it done right and skip the time and frustration?

I guess I was mostly looking for 'What You Should Know' from a non-DIY standpoint sort of thing from other E36 owners who have experience...

Comment

Who were you recommended? Im looking to have mine rolled as well and I am from KC.

Comment

dude im telling you. baseball bat plus heat gun. no need to spend the money on having someone do it. my paint didnt crack. i screwed up and dropped the car down fukly on the ground with the bat in the fender. it wasnt even that bad tho. just a tiny bit of a diference from side to side.

Comment

you can DYI but the essential tool on this is the heat gun

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wesleygti/

Comment

I'll send you the cliff notes when I get a chance to do mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Daytona M View Post
                    Who were you recommended? Im looking to have mine rolled as well and I am from KC.
                    Shit! I'm totally blanking on his name but if you PM me I'll shoot ya his number.

Originally posted by bjh102 View Post
                    dude im telling you. baseball bat plus heat gun. no need to spend the money on having someone do it. my paint didnt crack. i screwed up and dropped the car down fukly on the ground with the bat in the fender. it wasnt even that bad tho. just a tiny bit of a diference from side to side.
                    This is what I am trying to avoid.

Once again, my motto: If I can't do something right, I'd rather not do it all. But I'd still like to get my fenders rolled. Conclusion: I will be paying somebody to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by mipktb View Post
                      This is what I am trying to avoid.

Once again, my motto: If I can't do something right, I'd rather not do it all. But I'd still like to get my fenders rolled. Conclusion: I will be paying somebody to do it.
                      lol man im not gonna lie that is the worst motto ive ever heard. if you cant do something..... LEARN! haha

good lucj with the fender rolling. make sure you take the wheel you are going to run with you so you can get the perfect amount of roll and pull done. oh and tell them to roll the upper part of the fender aswell.

Comment

Seriously, Baseball bats work wonders... my fender was cutting my tire for a bit, i let the car bake out in this ridiculous sun and brought out the bat.... just do it yourself so you can spend money elsewhere... even if you screw up touch up paint is cheap
                        Last edited by Jamil; 09-29-2009, 11:21 PM.

BAR / TheIllu510nEvo<-- check it out

Comment

I'm doing what this guy said
                          from a drift tengoku video sorry no subs but you can see the general idea

Comment

I used a hammer and dolly. Of course I painted the whole car when I was done

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
                              I used a hammer and dolly. Of course I painted the whole car when I was done
                              i actually considered doing it that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X