Starting on an E21 Alpina...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting on an E21 Alpina...

The car belongs to my friend's dad, and some 10 years ago, something broke on it and it's been parked in their driveway ever since then. From what I can remember last time we talked about it, it was something with the transmission, but I went and looked at it today, and so far as shifting through the gears, it felt fine, went into each gear smoothly, so I'm not sure.

Anyways, don't want to bore you with the story, basically, I'm getting the car for free, because they're tired of it being in their driveway.

It needs a LOT of work...the driver's window is missing, and since it's been sitting for 10 years, cats have decided to take over, so the interior is pretty much ruined, which is sad, because it had some really badass Recaro interior.

The tires are all dead, the brakes are currently frozen. Battery is stone dead (duh.) I need to take a battery over there and see if anything works asap.

Anyways, plans so far are to just get it drivable again, then start fixing all the issues, get the interior reupholstered, it's got a little bit of rust, etc. Then start modifying it.

Here are the pictures:

Also...I know there are some E21 experts on here, I've got a few questions about this car.

1.) It's badged as a B6 2.8, but under the hood is a 4cyl engine. Looking around online, it seemed to me that the 2.8 should have the 528i motor? Is it just an incorrect badge or what? The car DOES have an Alpina badge on the dash, as well as full Recaro interior with orange gradation inserts on the seats, Alpina wheel/shift knob, and all the Alpina graphics on the car, as well as the aero package (spoiler, front valence, etc.) The car is an '82, so don't know if this has any effect on the option/engine package?

2.) I've never dealt with a car that's sat for 10 years, any suggestions to get it moving would be much appreciated. (What all should I replace?) I'm sure I need to do spark plugs, belts, oil, gas, just would like anyone to chime in so I don't forget anything.

AAAAAAANYWAYS, Sorry for the long boring story, I'm just really excited to start on the car. Open to all suggestions/input on the car.

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

OMG!
    lucky!
    sorry i dont know anything about them tho
    -Matt

Comment

those bumpers are hideous
      please destroy them cuz they seem bigger than the whole car

Comment

help is on the way

well one thing is certain ....... you are going to spend a whole lot of money i can tell you that right now. now where to start well first you better make sure that its not a four banger cause if it is then one of two thing either the original motor was blown , or it never was a alpina to begin with. the way you can check is by looking at the block if it says 25/28 then its definitly not a four c but a 2.8 inline big 6...well as big as its going to get for state standard.
        again no matter how you look at it its going to cost you a but load of just to fix the motor unless money is not an option, if thats not the case then i would highly recommend looking for 88 to 90 535i or 735i and use the big six if you really want a B6 well for states standard of course. germanys alpina.....well lets just say they ll make you piss your pants when they are running down the bahn
        good luck if you need help i think your in the right direction.

Comment

It IS a 4cyl, as I stated, lol, so that's why I'm confused...did the Alpina ever come with the 4cyl motor, and maybe just the B6 badge is incorrect? Cuz like I said, it's got the dash badge, all the stickers/aero/interior and whatnot. haha

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

The M30 is gone. Someone took it for another car. That means the good bits that adapted the M30 into the E21 chassis are missing as well. Get me a shot under the hood and I can pick out what's what. The good news is that the placard on the dash is where the money is. If that's legit (which you can verify with Alpina) then you've got a pretty slammin piece of history on your hands. Pity the interior is toast. The B6 got everything.

To answer your questions: Alpina DID make a four cylinder, but you'd know it. It would have a huge intake plenum that says "Alpina" on it and it would ITBs. It should not be in a B6. Your car should have a 2.8 liter big six.

Getting it started? That's a tough one. Battery is a good first step, but with animals living in the car, I'd bet some of the wiring is Fd. My recommendation would be to tow it home and work on it, rather than try to fix it on site and drive it home.

PS. Bumpers are hideous, can't tell if you have a euro rear valance there or not. I need to see more of the car.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

What do you need to change on a car that's been sitting for 10 years?

Everything.
              Ask me about Mazdas (FWD or RWD)!

1993 BMW 318i - Why do I own this car? Lime green.
              1991 Mazda Miata - For sale.

Comment

Good luck, Nic will be a good source of information for you

Comment

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1317123

Big for sale part out. With Euro Bumpers, WEDs wheels, etc.

Mr. Belvedere

I want to buy your single 4x100 Ronal Racing center

Comment

the bumpers are american spec well actually the whole car is american spec the bumper is just a dead give away. good news is since they did make alpina
                    in the states the chances of it being a true alpina are pretty good. and yes they did make four bangers, but they usually held the B3 or B4 badge, but just like AC SCHNITZER and HAMANN they amped for the BBD( bigger ,better, deal) the BIG SIX.

Comment

Well I haven't got the car in my possession yet, my friend's got to ask his dad where the title and keys and stuff are, so once I get it, I'll get more/better pictures of it up.

Thanks for the info so far.

2004 350Z Twin Turbo

Comment

Originally posted by TheNeek View Post
                        http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1317123

Big for sale part out. With Euro Bumpers, WEDs wheels, etc.
                        Yeah but you dont want those WED's

They are ugly........

Comment

if the engines gone and the interiors toast...doesnt that make it like every other e21? i would kill to get that for free though, kudos on the score brethren

Comment

nice score!

Flickr

Comment

Haha dammit Brian should of gave it to me
                              I'll be back this weekend probably, holla

Comment

Working...
                              X