E36 Buyers Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E36 Buyers Guide

Hey guys, been lurking on here for ages taking notes.. anyway the time has come to execute my plans, I'm looking at buying an E36 M3.. 1998 model (manual)

is there anything i should look for when test driving/looking over the car, obviously i will be having it inspected before committing to purchase but i figure any advice prior to me turning up to look at the car will be helpful.. all my previous cars have been pre-8o's so i know what to look in for in that regard but these 90's euro car are a different kettle of fish..

any and all advice will be much appreciated

BAM!! should cover the main stuff, but other than that little things ( ie doorpanels)may come lose or lights will go out randomly lol. Maintenance is key.

BAR / TheIllu510nEvo<-- check it out

Comment

That covers the main technical aspects.

Look for Rust on the lower edges of the doors (mainly if it's a 4 door, 2drs are not nearly as bad), rear arches, trunk (underneath the plate if you can), and the skirts / those rubber thingies to place the jack. That should be it. Rust is not very common on these, but those are the main places it occurs. Most often it occurs on the doors of the sedans.

'87 Porsche 944 S | Ex-E36 Touring (2009 - 2016) | Daily: '02 Chrysler Sebring

www.bastienbochmann.de | Tief & Breit

Comment

cheers guys, i'm hopefully going to go look at it tomorrow, might be able to snap a few pics too..

Comment

look underneath for any molested frame rails from retarded jacking.

if you look closely at the dashboard where it says miles (or kilos) there will be s slight dot at the end of "miles" if the dash has been removed or tampered with.

I got rust on the bottom corners of both doors (2d) and (LR fender) LOOK CLOSELY for touch ups.

ask to take off the rear plate to see if the boot is original. should be a barcode and vin.

check out for blown/leaking shocks.

rear trailing arm bushings, though it will only be noticed through clicking in the rear. (and + toe)

just a few, I own a 1998 323is coupe in swartz II.

good luck.
          Last edited by nykwhy2; 01-02-2011, 09:07 AM.

Comment

any luck?

Comment

yeh the car was immaculate, guy wasnt too negotiable on the price... which is probably a good thing cos my finance got fucked around and the interest rate i would have been paying was fucked

back to square one, for now....

Comment

Working...
              X