Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those running full struts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those running full struts...

I have a vast background in air suspension doing chassis fabrication and setting up suspensions using Slam bags and the like, Slam bags > all, But here in aus 'struts' for cars are usually built by one guy down here who has an ADR approved product, that would pass an engineers test. These are around $5000.... effe that.

Now I read a fair bit about guys in the US running aftermarket shocks and bags, I take it these would screw on similar to a coil spring set up?

I am looking to bag my legend in the future, and need to find out what would be the Ideal setup for a larger vehicle that has an extremely limited aftermarket base.

I thought about trying to get a kit along the lines of a GS300/Aristo being a similar size car, and modifying mounts to suit, but would much rather throw something together to achieve optimum ride quality.

Any help appreciated, fitting/modifying components to fit is no dramas, just dont know what brands are superior in that whole field.
    Originally posted by anth
    Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Do you mean like an Universal Air Aerosport over shocks/struts? If so, everyone and their moms run those here.
    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
    if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
    Originally posted by Jedidiah
    he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

Pretty much... I need awesome shocks and awesome bags to put together to run on my 1992-1995 KA7 Honda Legend.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
        Pretty much... I need awesome shocks and awesome bags to put together to run on my 1992-1995 KA7 Honda Legend.
        Make sure the Aerosports have clearance on that car and if they do, get yourself a set of either Koni or Bilstein shocks or if you want to get more adjustablity/fine tuning, get some coilovers and use the Aerosports over those.

Bags over coilovers example:

Originally posted by Jesus Christ
        if "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" doesnt include being able to buy a huge veiny motherfucker then the declaration of independence isnt worth the hemp it was written on.
        Originally posted by Jedidiah
        he speaks the truth.. he doesn't even have the -- -- eyes.

Comment

There isnt a great deal in the way of coilovers for the KA7's, I think D2 or one of those companies make a set, which are quite aids, and then theres one or two companies in Japan, but they're like $4k

Thanks for teh info Han, interesting.... * Strokes wizards beard *

Comment

http://www.imageinmotion.com/KSPORT05-CAC08-RR.htm

dont know if these guys ship to australia though...

Comment

for strut/bag could easily go usa bags with a good strut that fit ur car.koni kyb ex.. coil/bag: d2 isnt bad for daily usage if herd, performance wise not so muchbut least with d2 your getting dampner,compression and rebound adjustment

Comment

Also considered doing this.

Need to modify the upper and lower spring perches for things like airlines etc though right?

Comment

Originally posted by blkvip View Post
                  for strut/bag could easily go usa bags with a good strut that fit ur car.koni kyb ex.. coil/bag: d2 isnt bad for daily usage if herd, performance wise not so muchbut least with d2 your getting dampner,compression and rebound adjustment
                  I guess to begin with I could use a basic shock set up, then upgrade down the track to something with adjustable rates..

Originally posted by trism View Post
                  Also considered doing this.

Need to modify the upper and lower spring perches for things like airlines etc though right?
                  Judging by the UAS bags, only the lower mount needs to have a spot for the air fitting... You cant use stock spring perches as such though, need to mount perches that the bags can bolt up to..

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                    Judging by the UAS bags, only the lower mount needs to have a spot for the air fitting... You cant use stock spring perches as such though, need to mount perches that the bags can bolt up to..
                    i have the uas bags and they just have a steel plate bolted to either side of them for support and they are resting on the stock perches. i just had to cut a hole for the fitting

Comment

Originally posted by martinm13 View Post
                      i have the uas bags and they just have a steel plate bolted to either side of them for support and they are resting on the stock perches. i just had to cut a hole for the fitting
                      From an engineering view point, the mounts that bolt to the bag should be fixed/welded to the strut housing.

Comment

Sorry for the shit picture but here are my ksports with UA AeroSports...

Comment

Hey Oxer,

If you are down to fab a complete strut, I have 7 different set-ups with different valved struts. They are universal, as in build it yourself. I have ran them on just about everything there isn't a kit available. The downfall of sticking bags on any strut not designed for air is seal failure. Most aftermarket and factory strut bodies can't handle the internal pressures of the airbag. Hit me up if you have any questions and I will gladly point you in the right direction.

jjenson@airliftcompany.com
                          Jesse Jenson
                          Air Lift Company
                          West Coast Sales Manager
                          jjenson@airliftcompany.com
                          www.airliftcompany.com

Comment

Working...
                          X