Subwoofer enclosure question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subwoofer enclosure question.

I thought I'd pose this question to the SW community to see if anyone had more experience with this than me.

MINI's are rather small cars and my trunk is already packed with my airride management stuff, but I want to add a little bass to the stereo setup. My car has these silly door pockets on each rear door and they've proven to be pretty useless. I've toyed with the idea of tossing some 8" subs in each door, but my main concern is that they'd cause too much rattling being directly attached to the door.

I'm pretty well versed in glassing and/or MDF box making, so I'm not too concerned with actually fabricating the enclosures, but what can I do to cut down on the rattling? Will dynamat be enough or are there other precautions that should be taken?

The door cards are just plastic and snap onto the metal doors with some plastic clips. They're about 4-5" deep so I should have enough room to fit some small boxes behind each door card.

I know weight may be an issue, so stiffer door struts may be required down the road.

Any thoughts on the potential rattling, guys?

As seen on a SEMA car recently

I would think that if you covered the outter skin of the door and the metal section of the door where the plastic panel attaches, you should be ok as far as rattles go. I would do that on both doors, ever if you are only using one for an enclosure.
    Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

Dynamat will help with the expanses of sheetmetal, but for smaller rattles, you will need to locate and identify each rattle, and fix it appropriately. It will pay off in the long run.

Comment

I would say Dynomat and foam tape on everything else that could come in contact with anything in the inside of the door. As long as your not thinking of going with something too high of a wattage, you should be ok. Good luck.

The Kia has been parted.

Comment

The other problem you could be running into is that the size of you speaker (10") as a sub is trying to move air (especially if they are known as "soft" speakers) and the door pannels are not a ported design. As the speaker moves out the displacement of the door panel changes. many times enough to actually make the door panel pop in and out. It has been a long time since I have been in the sound business, but I beleive a speaker enclosure will be the best to help you get the bass you are looking for. There are some out there that deliver good bass in small packages, Just get help from you local installer type shop.

Gordo.

Comment

Oh yah, the subs would be in their own ported enclosures completely separate from the panel themselves. The panels would just act as clip on covers for aesthetic purposes and nothing more.

Comment

I think a proper dynamat and a sub that requires a very small airspace behind it would work fine there. I'd take the time to run the wires in correctly to avoid shorts when you open and close the gate. I can't tell in the pics is there already a factory harness running in there for anything?

Comment

Originally posted by 525iT_Feen View Post
                I think a proper dynamat and a sub that requires a very small airspace behind it would work fine there. I'd take the time to run the wires in correctly to avoid shorts when you open and close the gate. I can't tell in the pics is there already a factory harness running in there for anything?
                Yah there were wiper motors in the door (which I removed when I shaved my wipers) so each door has a rubber boot covered harness running into the car, which I was planning on running the wires through.

The plan is to just toss some small 8" subs in there. Their airspace requirements should be small enough to keep the install clean and the weight low so as to not strain the hinges too much.

Comment

I think ARC Audio makes a good line of 8s that require little air space

Comment

Originally posted by Average_Jerk View Post
                    I think ARC Audio makes a good line of 8s that require little air space
                    The new Alpine Type R slim is a really good sub for the money also. I know alot of the "show car" guys like better stuff but I'm a life long Alpine guy and have the new 12" Type R going int he 7. I've heard the slim and it sounds great.

ARC is great but a bit more $

Comment

Originally posted by 525iT_Feen View Post
                      The new Alpine Type R slim is a really good sub for the money also. I know alot of the "show car" guys like better stuff but I'm a life long Alpine guy and have the new 12" Type R going int he 7. I've heard the slim and it sounds great.

ARC is great but a bit more $
                      slim? i havent seen that one yet. I need to head to the shop i used to work at and check it out. I <3 Alpine

Comment

Second Skin Audio was built with one goal in mind: provide the best car sound deadening materials in the world, without exception, and without compromise.

better product that dynamat and a bit cheaper too.

or you can go with http://www.audimutesoundproofing.com...M64000840.aspx . you get more for your money but you have to use your own form of adhesion.
                        Originally posted by Kielan
                        I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

Working...
                        X