Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilover hitting front tire & rim - Help ASAP

Dear Experts,

I would like to seek advice about spacers setup on my E46 sedan, 18” inch Breyton Racing wheels + 40 series Dunlop tires. I actually had my coilovers installed today but unfortunately my front tire and coil adjustable screw are hitting the tire and the rim lip (slightly). It was noticed after deciding to adjust the coilovers to its maximum drop. It hits whenever a certain turning point but not when driving straight, you can actually notice the tire rub on the spring. The worst part is when we drive test the car after installation; the front wiggled badly when about 60km/hr and it was due to the 8” local front spacers installed. First we thought by having this 8” spacer would fix the hittings but didn’t. So I’m really unease and annoyed thinking about this right now…. Please find picture below for more information:

So in conclusion, I had to head back to the mechanic next week (Monday) and hope to get it done and for some new spacers, if they will have stock for 11” 72 center cap diameter as suggested by the mechanics. They’ve advised me to instead consider installing an 11”inch Breyton original set spacers for front instead of the 8”inch local brand to fix the wiggling.
    Questions:
    1) How much does new original Breyton spacer Set costs, around $250 usd?
    2) Is it ideal to also have 11” inch spacer for rear, since front will have them? Can you have 11”inch front and 8inch for rear? For currently temp fix, I have 5” front original and installed the 8” for the rear and this is where I have to accept intermittent hittings 
    3) Should I just replace fix height coilovers (non adjustables)? (this will of course stop me from getting my E46 stanced though ) or just stick to plan A replace all 11” inch spacers?
    4) Do I need front and rear alignment after job been completion?
    5) Consider replacing the rims or stick to plan A?

Appreciated your advices in advance. Thanks,

Ingrid
    Attached Files

I'm assuming you mean mm, not inches.

You won't need an alignment after adding spacers. However, you say that it hits intermittently... that doesn't sound like it's a spacer issue. If it were, it would rub nearly constantly. In fact, if an 8mm spacer didn't fix the rubbing, I'm actually a bit surprised that you were able to bolt the wheel on at all in the first place.

So far trying larger hubcentric spacers sounds like the most cost effective solution.

Comment

sorry it mm not inches for the spacer.

the alignment is after the lowering.

the spacer will allow the rims to give the gap between the tire and suspension screw from the inner part. The fender does not rub the tire is its nothing to with it. Is is from the inside part.

they used a longer bolt when they installed the 8mm spacer on the front of course. now since it didn't work out, temporarily the move the 8mm to the rear and left 5mm on the front so the center cap molds to the center of the rims to avoid the wiggling.

i hope all goes well planned tomorrow when i get bac to the shop if not i will just have to remove adjustable coilovers and accept the fix coilover (no stancing anymore)

We'll see how it goes tomorrow .......

Thanks for your advice kart

Ingrid

Comment

maybe spacer bolts too long?

i dont understand your termanology or question. sorry, im no help

Email | Website | Facebook | Instagram @Broadway_Static

Comment

not sure what the problem is here. according to the picture, you are still rubbing with the 8mm spacer. measure how much room you have in order to bring out the wheel further away from the strut, right before you start rubbing the inside of the fender. add that to the 8mm. it should give you an idea of the size of the spacer necessary. it would probably be in 15mm range.
          Originally posted by Kielan
          I've had a lot more fun in my Dad's Prius than I care to admit.

BMW e23 build Thread

Comment

not read your post only saw the picture, but the normal ting is, if your wheel is stock offset wise, you will need at least a 15mm spacer normally. because the spring is so far down, to the normal setup. Guessing you have et38 or there about, its the normal of a 8'' wheel.
            -Instagram@jdjurhuus
            Stretchsaurus and Pokemon.

Comment

yeah the mechanic shop should've known this problem all along and especially when I decided to go full drop and got my adjustable to its maximum height. Anyway, maybe that’s just the way how things go to earn those extra bucks eii… spacers don’t come cheap though. I actually had to pre-order them for today’s installation and cost me around $300 usd for 2 pair 11mm spacers front will be original Breyton and back probably just local. Is that correct market price by the way? But still not sure if they can prepare them that quick. If not, I’ll just get them to replace the fix height coilovers

Another thing I also noticed is that after a few road tests, its ride is really a bit bumpy compared to having the original oem suspension. My last civic setup was only lowering springs + oem suspension and was actually more smoother than what I now have considering having full set coilovers. I thought it will be more beneficial though and wasn’t really the case for the comfort part. Is it normal to feel the slight bumpy even on smooth surface?

Cross finger today, lets get this done. Will keep you guys posted and latest photos…

\\\Ingrid
              Hong Kong Chapter

Comment

Yeah that price isn't unusual for billet spacers.

And yes, most coilover kits are stiffer than stock, you'll noticed more bumps.

Comment

so are the prices normal?

think i may have to leave with it for now if all goes well.

run into some forums, seems spacers for front or even back is not safe? are this true in all aspects or just depends on settings etc .... are spacers really advisable on some circumstances?

Ingrid

Comment

I don't believe properly installed spacers are unsafe. Some disagree though.

Comment

finally sorted out the problem and it was really my rims are the culprit. it wasn't the proper offset size for my type E46. problem is even if I stick to it, it will not give me comfort and proper ride. Actually got them from a local dealer shop in which I didn't even checked the measurements and ratio. Anyway, I got my rims replaced with another one and this time all problems sorted, hittings, bumpy ride is also gond and now it looked more staced out becuase of it's ride height. Rims looks awsome with 235 rear and 225 front. Can't remember the made but will post some photos later and make sure I know what I'm buying .....

Ingrid

Comment

thanks to all your support and replies. I actually have another query but I'll just create another thread. thank you once again.

Ingrid

Comment

Working...
                        X