RS6 Cooler Fitment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS6 Cooler Fitment

Now that Craig and AJ are back, things are back to normal. That includes the faster-than-normal pace in fabrication.

With the Audi RS6 (as with most cars), creating more power can put greater-than-average strain on the transmission. Being that the RS6 is only available as an automatic, both repairing or replacing such a transmission can become cost-prohibitive. Therefore, we set out to fix the problem of all that excess strain and heat on the stock ZF transmission. Our solution was to create a new intercooler for the transmission that utilized a greater surface area (for greater heat dissipation) and a greater capacity (for more rapid cooling, as well).

When pushing higher horsepower numbers and pushing the engine hard in general, the oil temperature can also factor into performance degradation. Since the oil and transmission coolers are both contained in the same tiny little unit, we decided to replace them both at once with separate units. Obviously the larger surface area and greater overall capacity will create an environment in which the oil and the transmission can be subject to less heat and therefore less overall hindrances.

We just finished putting together and pressure testing the new coolers for the RS6. We’ve also included a shot of the old cooler mounted up, so you can see just how much difference to expect in overall heat dissipation:

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Nice! What series of ZF tranny do they use?
    The other Jaguar

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Star View Post
      Nice! What series of ZF tranny do they use?
      It's a 5P24A. It's the four-wheel drive version of the 5P24, which is used in the E31, the E38 and the E39 BMWs. The 5P24A is also used in the Phaeton.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

I've got the 6hp26 tranny and I was thinking of doing additional cooling on it before I try to up the power at all.

Any crazy things I should know before I attempt?

thanks!
        The other Jaguar

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Star View Post
          I've got the 6hp26 tranny and I was thinking of doing additional cooling on it before I try to up the power at all.

Any crazy things I should know before I attempt?

thanks!
          Since we changed the single cooler to a two-cooler design, we removed the OEM lines and replaced them with new ones.

Unless you're a certified mechanic, removing those lines will not be easy or fast. That's really all I've got for ya.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
          www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Working...
          X