This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting Spring Pros n Cons?

I have a couple months till my bags get here. I just wanted to know If it would be alright to cut the springs for the in between time. All I've heard is don't do it your car will lean and just all around trash talkin about doing it.

Cons: reduced travel, spring rate weirdness, lameness
    Pros: free

Comment

Depends what shocks you have, and how much you plan to cut off.

Comment

also wether its a linear or progressive spring

Comment

It's just the stock springs on my 01 civic. I just want to lower it maybe an inch or two.

Comment

A great deal of my bias stems from the fact that it's a result of an unwillingness to do things properly.

Comment

It was just an idea for the couple months i'll have to be stock. I wouldn't keep it like that for longer than a couple months. I knot it's not "right" to do it like that, but i just need something in between stock height=gross

Comment

The other really cheap options that I have seen done is to:- use muffler clamps to collapse the spring down, simply tighten it over two turns, and it is adjustable.
                - the other is to use a gas ax torch to heat the spring and sag it. Bad idea not reversable.
                - Buy lowering springs and install them. be happy with your ride hieght and quality, and when your bags arrive sell the springs as barely used.

Gordo.

Comment

This calculator will determine the spring rate constant related to a compression spring from basic geometry and material data input. Default units are shownin inches, etc however SI (metric) can be used.

Try that if you wanna be 'legit' about seeing what you're doing with the rate by cutting a coil or two. Honestly, if you aren't doing anything drastic, cutting springs doesn't really have the detrimental effect some would have you believe. That's assuming the perches don't have any special considerations and you are comfortable using simple power tools.

Ultimately, the most common bad effects of cutting springs is blowing out stock shocks by either having too stiff a rate or putting them in an improper part of their stroke (bottoming them out).

edit: don't fuckin heat your springs, and don't do clamps, THOSE truly are shit options. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with cutting a spring.
                  Last edited by FJ40runr; 12-10-2010, 10:24 PM. Reason: post above

Comment

the only way you can do it proper is if the springs or Non Progressive. But most cars now are progressive. It will sag out super quick and is dangerous.

lol me cutting mine(Mine are ok, thier off a train car)
                    Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                    he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Moved into the proper section of the forum
                      Originally posted by anth
                      Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Aren't lowering spring for a civic only about $230? If you are going to go though all the trouble of taking the springs off to cut them, why not do it right...even if it is temperary.

" edit: don't fuckin heat your springs, and don't do clamps, THOSE truly are shit options. There is nothing fundamentally wrong with cutting a spring"

Sorry not sure which little smiley say " this is sarcasm, don't f*cking listen to me.

Gordo.

Comment

you can also buy ebay coilover sleeves for $50 too.
                          Originally posted by Jesus Christ
                          he mustve enjoyed that bj.

i know for a fact you chubby bitches could suck the air bubbles out of a brake line

Comment

Id rather cut a stock spring then roll $50 ebay sleves... but thats just me haha...
                            Originally posted by anth
                            Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

ive cut literally 4 full coils off my front springs, been ridin that for over 7k miles with zero issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X