M Stands for "Make It Fit"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M Stands for "Make It Fit"

We’re engineering as hard and as fast as we can this week, all in the name of fitment.

Although, we’re not referring to wheel fitment. Currently, we’ve got Ashley’s E90 3-series up on a lift, wheels off, ready to party. And by party, we mean “replace the stock 3-series front brakes with an E90 M3’s front brakes.” This has been one of our big fabrication tasks this week, as the front brakes are not a simple unbolt-and-bolt exercise. To replace the stock rotors, calipers and brackets with those of an M3, there’s a bit of work involved.

Originally, we wanted to get everything to fit up nicely with the stock brackets. Thanks to differences in part sizes, we had to machine down the calipers just a tad. Sure, it made them shiny and fixed the fitment issue, but not everybody wants to take a rapidly-spinning drill bit to their M3 front brake calipers. Therefore, we went about searching for a new answer. That answer? The bracket. Here’s a picture of the stock one in the caliper, followed by our prototype:

Don't worry, it's only aluminum for prototyping. We'll make the final production version out of steel, since nobody should go 3 laps and have to worry about exploding brake systems.

With this bracket, it should be all that's required to install E9x M3 front brakes on an E9x 3-series.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/archives/5194

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

nice
    sigpic

Comment

FMU's fabrication capabilities always impress...

Comment

I love trick little parts like this since I build race cars for school every day
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
          FMU's fabrication capabilities always impress...
          Understatement.
          Originally posted by anth
          Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

you guys should really start selling some of those in small quantities, i got lucky with my brake upgrade since e46 330i brakes actually happen to be bigger than e36 m3 brakes and bolt right on, but most of the M parts nowadays i have noticed aren't such a straightforward swap on some of the newer platforms

Comment

Working...
            X