Better Lathe Than Never

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better Lathe Than Never

Yesterday, the entire staff of Fluid MotorUnion stopped working for 20 minutes or so. Did we start following the French workday? No. We just had to move a very large, unwieldy piece of equipment.

Monday afternoon, a very large flatbed arrived, with a very mysterious tarp. Some of us weren’t too sure what is was, but once the cover had been lifted, most of us pegged the mystery item immediately. It was a lathe for our fabrication garage.

This particular lathe is an older, manual lathe; despite its age, a lathe will always work as intended (provided the machinery is in good shape, and ours definitely is) and always carries value. Even though, to your humble narrator, the value lies in the controls, the design of which looks as if it was taken from a Soviet spacecraft.

To grab the lathe with the forklift, we had to raise the forks as high as they could go; this put the lathe well above the center of gravity of the forklift-lathe system, exposing Craig (our fearless forklift master) and everyone involved to a serious tipping risk. So, instead of moving away from the flatbed, the truck driver agreed to roll the flatbed out from underneath the lathe, so we could then lower it (and, consequently, the center of gravity) to a much more acceptable position without adding the risk of moving the forklift itself. It took probably five employees standing on the back of the forklift for us to not worry about the tipping issue, but watching that flatbed roll away was certainly Fear-Sweat City. Thankfully, everything went off without a hitch, and we hauled the lathe into the fabrication garage for its placement.

Before we got back to work, we had to look at the sweet truck that brought us out lathe. On top of a blemish-free coat of red paint and plenty of chrome bits, it had some serious fitment going on. Look at that tire tuck! Somebody should call Burroughs and get a StanceWorks feature on this. But first, it could probably use some spacers.

http://www.fluidmotorunion.com/archives/5164

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

Nice thread title. I'm eager to see what you guys will come up with, now that you have this awesome new machinery.

Comment

We're moving into the business of making table legs and baseball bats.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
      www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Suggestions on how to stickerbomb my baseball bat?

Comment

Nice!
          Will design/build websites for wheels

Comment

Originally posted by firelizard View Post
            Suggestions on how to stickerbomb my baseball bat?
            Lots of stickers.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
            www.stanceworks.com

Comment

You have a typ......

Oh, I see what you did there
              Originally posted by anth
              Lucky they didn't come into your house and disrespect your whole family.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxer View Post
                You have a typ......

Oh, I see what you did there
                That's what happens when they hire an English major to write for them.

PUNS-A-PALOOZA

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Working...
                X