Luci Rebuilds a Merc 190 Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luci Rebuilds a Merc 190 Engine

This car and its engine came to us some time ago as a long-term rebuild. When it originally entered our shop, problems with the copper head gasket caused a piston to blow up, and we were given the chance to fix ‘er up. The only problem with this situation is that you can’t really buy custom rods and pistons for this particular engine, at least none that were specifically built for it. Therefore, we’ve had to reconstruct this engine with somewhat of a piecemeal mindset. Utilizing parts from various makes and models (some that aren’t even from the same land mass as Mercedes), Luci has begun what we hope will be the a finished project after all this time. During the course of this 190’s extended stay, we’ve made attempts at constructing the engine’s Frankenstein internals, and we’ve finally landed on what we believe will be the final design.

After breaking down the engine to its most basic components, we have built up the internals to essentially bulletproof this thing. Based on how the build has been progressing, we believe this engine will be ready to take whatever we throw at it, including horsepower numbers well above this engine’s original intentions.

Here are some shots of Luci (and his equally superheroic father lending a hand) working on the rebuild and installation processes. There will definitely be more to come on this once we’ve got it started up and ready to dig into some pavement.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
    www.stanceworks.com

Originally posted by Oxer
    I'm pretty sure I will molest any exhaust systems you leave lying around

mercedes made a turbo non-diesel engine??? what is that motor from?

Comment

Originally posted by wagonist View Post
      mercedes made a turbo non-diesel engine??? what is that motor from?
      That's an all custom turbo build on a cosworth engine, either a 2.3-16 or a 2.5-16 out of a 190e.

I recongize this car by the red strut bar and the copper head gasket from turbo bandit, are you guys from the same shop as Roman from the mercedes forums?

Is the engine running standalone with that awesome intake manifold/plenum and the custom fuel rail?
      Last edited by conski; 11-05-2010, 06:48 AM.
      1990 Mercedes 300CE- 24 valve

Comment

Originally posted by conski View Post
        That's an all custom turbo build on a cosworth engine, either a 2.3-16 or a 2.5-16 out of a 190e.

I recongize this car by the red strut bar and the copper head gasket from turbo bandit, are you guys from the same shop as Roman from the mercedes forums?

Is the engine running standalone with that awesome intake manifold/plenum and the custom fuel rail?
        Whatever we run for ignition will be standalone. It might be Haltech, but I'm not exactly sure.

And we do have a guy named Roman who comes in from time to time, but again I'm not sure if it's the guy you're thinking of. Which Merc forum are you talkin about? We've got a bit of a following on mbworld.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
        www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
          Whatever we run for ignition will be standalone. It might be Haltech, but I'm not exactly sure.

And we do have a guy named Roman who comes in from time to time, but again I'm not sure if it's the guy you're thinking of. Which Merc forum are you talkin about? We've got a bit of a following on mbworld.
          What are you using for your fuel injection?

I'm on the peach parts forum, gonna sign up soon for the mbworld one though. The Roman I am talking about drives boosted 300ce's and 300e's and he represents Turbo Bandit a lot. He runs insane turbo's on his cars too, his latest was 2.1bar I think.

Anyways, you guys do some really clean work.

Comment

Luci and his dad are straight up ballers.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel View Post
              Luci and his dad are straight up ballers.
              is their shop in florida?

Comment

Originally posted by conski View Post
                is their shop in florida?
                Neg. Southwest suburban Chicago. Specifically, Plainfield.

Colonel's just hardcore and likes to come visit.

www.fluidmotorunion.com
                www.stanceworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by FluidMotorUnion View Post
                  Neg. Southwest suburban Chicago. Specifically, Plainfield.

Colonel's just hardcore and likes to come visit.
                  Hmm...that could be a mighty fun road trip!

Comment

HAH...thats my car, whats up guys i just joined this forum.. THE ENGINE IN THE CAR??????

conski the car has EDIS ignition and uses a TEC3 engine management with staged injectors
                    Last edited by boostncosworth; 11-18-2010, 04:31 PM.

Comment

heres some more pics, engine pics are of the old set up with the smaller turbo and before the headgasket popped and then i went to copper....then she ended up at Fluid
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by boostncosworth; 11-18-2010, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Welcome boostncosworth, thanks for the additional info and pics man!

Comment

sooo, any updates?? Ive been too busy to come by and check

Comment

Working...
                          X