Turning, bumps, and fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turning, bumps, and fenders

If this is common knowledge or has been discussed elsewhere, I apologize.

I'm considering bagging my 745Li; it's on coilovers now, and is pretty close to the limit of how low it can go before seriously bending up the front fenders during turns, not to mention on bumps during turns. On this particular car, the primary concern is the inner wheel in the turn, as it pushes out (the outer wheel just pulls in, so it's not an issue). I'd like be able to nearly lay frame, but still be able to make turns...so, what are my [reasonable] options?

Are the following the only reasonable fixes for this? Is there a better approach? Suggestions?
    • raising the car
    • rolling / pulling fenders further out near the point of contact
    • modifying control arm / spindle mount points to pull the wheel in during turns instead of out
    • smaller wheel/tire setup to effect greater clearance
    • changing camber or caster at the shock mount/tower
    Black 2002 BMW E66 / 745Li
    - KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K low beams, eating tires like mad

Alpine white 1997 BMW E38 / 740iL
    - Eibach springs, E65/E66 18's

White 1994 GMC Suburban / weekend tank / drunkard battlewagon / friend-mover

You could just air up..
    - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

You can't figure out how to increase tire to fender clearance on a bagged car?

Lord help us.

Comment

My apologies, apparently I should have been much more clear. Clearly bagging the car makes it very easy to raise the car on demand (isn't that half the point?); however, my desire is to make it more driveable AT the lowest height, i.e. make it able to take turns while at the lowest possible height, without having to air up / raise the car, and without ripping up the fenders.

Comment

Originally posted by KeifR View Post
          My apologies, apparently I should have been much more clear. Clearly bagging the car makes it very easy to raise the car on demand (isn't that half the point?); however, my desire is to make it more driveable AT the lowest height, i.e. make it able to take turns while at the lowest possible height, without having to air up / raise the car, and without ripping up the fenders.
          you're going to have to do 1, 2, 4, and 5 in your original post. alternatively, run with gangster fitment and replace fenders every so often :P

Comment

Fortunately fenders are fairly cheap and no welding is necessary, but I'm looking more for a fix of sorts, versus just a band-aid. I'm thinking that pulling, cutting a little, and flaring the edge will be my best bet long term, though any other approaches are welcome.

Anyone done camber/caster tricks to add tire clearance during turns?

Comment

get DD fenders and show/meet fenders. look baller in both situations.

BOOM
              1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
              Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

Dude you're going about this all wrong (unless I don't understand what you are saying). Air up when you get to the bumps, and then lower it back down when you get past the bump, I know you are saying you want to drive really low, which is good, but if you come to a point where you need to turn or whatever, just air up a bit, so you can and then bring it back down. Get a digital air managment system so you can have preset levels. And then at shows when you go to park, you can lay frame.
                - Kielan (Key-lin)

Comment

I completely understand what you are saying, and for bumps and stuff of course I'd just air up and ride over. The thing I am looking to fix is the ability to make a turn while at low height (without airing up or anything); on this car even a slight turn of the wheel would cause major fender contact if I went much lower than I currently am. So, the goal is to go lower and still be able to make a turn while at that lower height -- by messing with something to get more clearance.

Perhaps some pictures will help. ... Well, the pictures are crap, but you get the idea. I could get about an inch with a bit of pulling, but I'm just looking for more clearance than that.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by KeifR; 10-20-2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

this is the 728i (static) of someone i know
                    he never had problems like yours

Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

i need an e38 NOW
                      1988 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
                      Stance:Nation Feature | Build Thread

Comment

rims 9&10X19
                        Floccinaucinihilipilification

Comment

Originally posted by kramerbuccs24 View Post
                          i need an e38 NOW
                          I just happen to be selling mine. Though after seeing that picture, maybe I'll keep it. The E38 in the picture above has about the same front fender clearance as how I currently have the E66, so I'm looking to go about 1.5"-2" further up in the front fender compared to the picture above (and still be able to turn).
                          Last edited by KeifR; 10-21-2010, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X