Chopping shit up, safety, and bag PSI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopping shit up, safety, and bag PSI

Ok so maybe i'm not one of the only cars with this issue.

The b7 is bagged, and naturally the front goes NO WHERE NEAR as low as the rear and we've some nasty tug boating going on with that reverse rake.

I'm convinced that I need to chop off about an inch and a half off the strut and re-weld it back together in order to get the height that I want up front (Car is "bottomed out" with ~30 psi remaining in the bag). Question is how safe is this process? Is the integrity of the strut compromised in any way?

Also, with a strut sitting an inch n a half lower, I should have a more comfortable ride in the higher PSI's while maintaining a lower ride height correct?

Thanks for any help.
    I ees een jur cambers, nomnomin on jur tairs

Just chopping the strut body and shortening may not be enough if your strut is actually bottoming out. You'd have to shorten and re-thread the strut shaft as well if that's the case.

The PSI required will be raised IF the lower perch is lowered when you shorten the strut. This should give you a more comfortable ride if your current ride is too bouncy or squishy.

Comment

Pull the strut out and see if there's a spacer down there.

Comment

The bottom of the strut has a rod at the end (duh) and at the bottom of that rod is the fork for the lower control arm. But cutting that rod and re welding the fork about an inch to two inches higher will (should) result in the car sitting about an inch or lowr than before. Now, as far as the strut bottoming out before the bag zeros out. Would lowering the perch of the bag solve this issue?
        Yes we are air noobs.
        www.stateofstance.com

sigpic
        The unofficial Work Wheels whore in the making

Comment

Working...
        X